This is just sick.

True...but like hatching chicks/ducks just to kill them?

It even specifically says the ducks are male. The chickens probably are too because they're cheaper to buy. I doubt they hatch them at all - they probably buy chicks from large hatcheries and taxidermy them instead of literally putting them in an industrial shredder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

These chicks... They're a byproduct of the chicken hatching industry, including back yard chicken keeping. If you didn't hatch your own and eat the boys or put them in a bachelor flock, and they didn't end up taxidermied or something else, they end up ground up into "chicken meal" while still alive.

Nobody involved is any more a monster or evil than the folks at your local hatchery gently tossing them into the jaws of death after being sexed.

Maybe there's a better way to handle male chicks but this isn't worse than anything else widely used right now. It's not like they skin them alive. They get put down first.

It even specifically says the ducks are male. The chickens probably are too because they're cheaper to buy. I doubt they hatch them at all - they probably buy chicks from large hatcheries and taxidermy them instead of literally putting them in an industrial shredder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

These chicks... They're a byproduct of the chicken hatching industry, including back yard chicken keeping. If you didn't hatch your own and eat the boys or put them in a bachelor flock, and they didn't end up taxidermied or something else, they end up ground up into "chicken meal" while still alive.

Nobody involved is any more a monster or evil than the folks at your local hatchery gently tossing them into the jaws of death after being sexed.

Maybe there's a better way to handle male chicks but this isn't worse than anything else widely used right now. It's not like they skin them alive. They get put down first.
True. Though we don’t know.
But I think the part I consider sick and horrid is them selling the stuffed dead bodies and people buying them.

But I think the part I consider sick and horrid is them selling the stuffed dead bodies and people buying them.

Have you ever been inside a metroparks? My local metroparks has lots of taxidermied animals. They use them as educational tools. Its much safer to show children a taxidermied black bear then a real black bear. Maybe whoever is buying them will be using them for educational purposes?

I agree it's a bit grim when you think about it that way. But they also sell dead animal bodies at the grocery store. :idunno And we get advertisements for products that take your chickens from alive to dead more easily - killing cones and scalders and pluckers and hunting knives. Personally I actually have a set of flesh-eating beetles for cleaning animal skulls for crafting into jewelry. There's a religious group that sometimes uses animal bones that I'm a part of.

At least someone found a use for the body so they didn't just exist and then suffocate in the trash. I don't think the warrants any more of a visceral reaction than anything else, though I understand that many people see cute dead animal and get upset. That's normal, but worth taking a step back and understanding that these were slated for something far more useless and inhumane if they hadn't been taxidermized.

It seems a bit weird to advertise it on a website where everyone owns their own live chickens and ducks though.

Back
Top Bottom