Jacqui66

In the Brooder
May 1, 2019
Hi BYC Community,

My name is Jacqui Myers and I am new to chickens. I currently have fifteen 16-week old chickens and twenty-four 9-week old Guineas. I have a Silkie, a few Rhode Island Reds, some Lace Wyandotte’s, a California Gray, a Light Brahma, a few Bantams, and the rest I think are a mix of breeds because I can’t identify them. I love having the chickens and Guineas come up to my husband and I and my kids in the evening for treats! I hate how the roosters are bullies - not knowing any better I got a mixed run that had 9 roosters, and well, it’s been a challenge to say the least.

As far as hobbies, I make cakes, have a nice vegetable garden and some gorgeous roses. Recently, I have been dabbling in remodeling as we purchased a beautiful place with 10 acres in Oroville, CA last January. My husband and I both have a daughter and a son, and three of the four elected to move with us from the Bay Area, along with our 4 dogs and 2 cats. Since we moved to Oroville, we’ve acquired 5 Nigerian Pygmy goats, so me being busy is an understatement.

I found BYC two days after I brought my chicks home because a few of them had this weird hard encasement on their bottoms. Turned out to be pasty butt. Over the next two weeks, I washed and dried little chicken butts 2 or 3 times a day. I lost 2 chicks the first day, which broke my heart, but it would have been half a dozen more if it hadn’t been for BYC! I look up stuff in this group everyday, and I figured it was time to stop stalking y’all and come out of the shadows. Plus, my husband and I built one helluva chicken coop, so I finally feel like I have something to offer.

Thanks for reading all this. I look forward to becoming a valuable member of BYC over the next several years.

~Jacqui

Welcome to BYC, Jacqui! It's great that you were able to take care of the pasty butt because of what you learned here.

I don't think you were "in the shadows" that long. I think you were just too busy to write with all you have going on. As a fellow owner of Nigerians (and other mini goats), I've found that just keeping them on the right side of their fences can be a full-time job.

And congratulations on your coop build!

Back
Top Bottom