This is not a "training egg"

Theda's Mom

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Moscow TN
My youngsters just started laying. Most of the eggs are on the small size, which is what we normally expect, right? Except two of the girls (maybe the Turkens?) are laying GIGANTIC eggs. Here's one of two I collected this evening:

Yes. That is 2.9 oz.

Yup! I find especially with birds that are just beginning to lay to expect the unexpected. You may have a HUGE egg in a box one day and have one that's a little bigger than a large marble (the look on my sister's face when she saw the tiny little thing I brought in one day was priceless!). This can happen at any age, but I find as they get older, size kind of evens out.
smile.png

Good to know, LRH97! I've kept chickens for about 10 years now, but in such small numbers that my experience is still pretty limited. I do love these monster eggs, but having had guineas at one point, I'm also fond of the teeny eggs. They are much better, for instance, stuffed than the larger or larger specimens. I have learned to weigh my eggs in the shell though in order to accommodate recipes that are written with a standard (and consistent) 'large' egg in mind. :)

My girls were giving me a pullet egg a day for 7 days, then I got one huge egg, then back to pullet eggs. I accused my DW and children of putting the big egg in to mess with me! Glad to hear that it just happens.

Back
Top Bottom