This is ODD... (keep reading, I need help with this!!)

Mesa

Songster
Nov 21, 2008
New Mexico
Ok, I have MANY eggs now with meat spots and now that my Marans are laying, I'm finding BLOOD (lots of blood not just blood spots, I can deal with the occasional blood spot or meat spot) in their eggs. Its getting out of hand here. I know the bloody eggs are not partially developed fetuses, I gather eggs 4 times a day.
Whats going on here?

I was having the meat spots and feather picking on layer granules and oyster shell. So I switched up a bunch of stuff and now they are on game bird feed, alfalfa hay in their run, corn for scratching and oyster shell. It's been a few weeks since I switched feed.
I still have really really bloody yolks and very frequent meat spots. Several hens are laying these eggs.

Last edited:
What is in the game bird feed?

I must admit that switching to grains and hay and better quality food than pellets, sounds like you should start to see an impovement in egg quality in my opinion.

I've never seen a meat spot and rarely a blood spot and my mum kept hens all my life (nearly 30 years) fed on wheat and free ranging. I feed mine mostly wheat every day with a little grain mix for hens and let them free range when I can which is usually only an hour a day. When we can't let them out we give them something green in their coop like a brocolli plant that is starting to go to seed, or an armfull of grass and soursobs. Perhaps something like that would help?

Maybe give them another week or two and see if there is an improvement as they get the other feed out of their system.

That is odd. No answer, just a guess. Perhaps heat stress or they are still young and need to get used to laying an egg?

I will be watching to see the answer.
Thanks for posting

Just bumping for any more input.

It has been in the upper 90's and 100's this summer. They ARE hot.... I sure dont know whats going on here.

Some of the hens are new layers... but at least 2 of my hens that are older are laying these "nasty" eggs too. One of my "older" hens just recently started laying these eggs with blood/ and or meat spots in them.

Back
Top Bottom