This is re: to the Serama I lost then found in the garage

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
The Serama, now named Houdini, that escaped the bin a few days ago in the garage and then hid till the next day now has blood in his poop the rest of his poo is normal. We have mouse poison behind the bench we almost caught him under. It has become less than the first day, was just wondering if he possibly could have gotten into the poison and is it possibly working out of his system? I figure if it was going to kill him it would have done it by now...Have been adding electrolites to the water to build up hopefully what he has lost.

Hello!
I dont really think that he was poisoned, and here's why!
We once had an infestaion of rats (it was NOT our fault, our neighbor's actually...it is a long story) but we set out rat poison, and the things brought it to our chickens and fed our chickens! They are insanely smart!! Anyways, that silkie roo was dead in a few hours and you could see that he had been bleeding from his vent and mouth and a little from his eyes.
However, if you think that your little guy was poisoned, which he could have been if the dose was VERY small, give him Vitamin K, also found in carrots. This will stop the bleeding.
He may also have Coccidiosis if there is blood in his stool. Try telling the difference in this way: if he is skinny, he likely has just Coccidiosis. If he has been healthy, good-weight, and suddenly has bloody stool, he may have been poisoned. If you really have no idea, take a stool sample and bring it to the vet's. This is only about $10 and it will tell you a lot about your bird's health.
For Coccidiosis, I treat them with 2 tbsp of Sulmet to one gallon.
Let us know how he does!
God bless,
Crystalchik

I'll get him some shredded carrots and chop them up. He is acting very healthy in every other way eating, drinking, pooing, pecking order practice, etc...Not underweight feeling. Don't know if the vitamin is in the following but they had a peach yesterday, a cucumber and some oats today.

Back
Top Bottom