This is really gross, but...

Jastorm

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Vancouver Island
My 19 month old production red backyard hen/pet pooped out this twist of tissue, about the size of a young child's pinkie finger, seen here on a trowel.. Yep, pretty disgusting, but what can it be? No blood present.
Interestingly enough, she was showing signs of illness a few days ago...lethargic, moving extremely slowly, standing apart with eyes half closed. She has not laid since these symptoms, but I put that down to molting.
Today she seems perky and bossy.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20211204_164352.jpg
    20211204_164352.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 12
Looks like lash material. It is a sign of salpingitis an infection in the reproductive system.

If you still have it can you cut it open and get another picture?
Interesting. I think you are right, after reading up on salpingitis. I looked it up after valiantly resisting the urge to throw up after first researching "lash material".
This would explain her discomfort earlier. Now to determine if she can recover.
If I can find the piece in daylight tomorrow I'll post a photo. Thank you.

Interesting. I think you are right, after reading up on salpingitis. I looked it up after valiantly resisting the urge to throw up after first researching "lash material".
This would explain her discomfort earlier. Now to determine if she can recover.
If I can find the piece in daylight tomorrow I'll post a photo. Thank you.
Depends on how advanced the inflammation is. Some hens can bounce back for a while with antibiotic treatment. Amoxicillin can be ordered online.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Aqua Mox amoxicillin 125-250 mg twice a day for 10 days is a good dosage to treat early signs of salpingitis. Some use the banned for chickens enrofloxacin (Baytril.) Get a
AquaMox here:
https://www.chewy.com/midland-vet-services-aqua-mox-forte/dp/344728?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Midland Vet Services&utm_term={keyword}

Looks like lash material. It is a sign of salpingitis an infection in the reproductive system.

If you still have it can you cut it open and get another picture?
I cut it open and it is definitely lash material.
From what I am reading on various sites, it seems that once they are shedding this stuff, it is too late to do anything, even treat with antibiotics, and they will eventually die.
My chicken, after acting poorly for one day, now seems right as rain. But still not laying.
Is it just a matter of time before she succumbs to this?
And another question... she has been my best layer up till last week, and all her eggs seemed fine... maybe a bit too torpedo shaped to win any prizes, but would they have been contaminated inside the shell with whatever bacteria is causing her infection? In short, have we been eating that stuff in minute quantities?

And finally... I am wondering if the production breeds have been genetically managed to such an extent that they have lost some basic hardiness in exchange for copious egg production. I've heard of people getting rid of their production hens by age 18 months, because by then they are basically spent and susceptible to all sorts of problems.
Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your information!

From what I am reading on various sites, it seems that once they are shedding this stuff, it is too late to do anything, even treat with antibiotics, and they will eventually die.
My chicken, after acting poorly for one day, now seems right as rain. But still not laying.
And another question... she has been my best layer up till last week, and all her eggs seemed fine... maybe a bit too torpedo shaped to win any prizes, but would they have been contaminated inside the shell with whatever bacteria is causing her infection? In short, have we been eating that stuff in minute quantities?

And finally... I am wondering if the production breeds have been genetically managed to such an extent that they have lost some basic hardiness in exchange for copious egg production. I've heard of people getting rid of their production hens by age 18 months, because by then they are basically spent and susceptible to all sorts of problems.

I would guess it is too late for a recovery.
Unfortunately these production type birds don't live very long.

What exactly do you feed your flock?

I had a hen lay a few lash material blobs and look poorly for a week then rebounded and lived another 4 years.

I do not think the eggs from her would be dangerous to consume.

I currently have several high production birds in my flock. Them dropping dead by 2 years old is a falsehood. Mine are all over 2 and a few are approaching 6 years old now. They all still lay regularly. Maybe not 6 eggs a week but still 4+ eggs a week from the older gals while the younger are still producing 5-6 a week.

Back
Top Bottom