This is really worrying me...

_ADM_

Chirping
Jan 14, 2022
So im having really bad luck with my hatch atm (like really bloody bad), started with 18 eggs, 6 were eaten by the broody, put the remaining amount under my other broody. Candled them 1 day ago, found 7 dead (she couldn't fit all of them, all stone cold), then just today she stepped on one of the eggs smashing it open. Now I have 4 under her. But thats not what I made this thread for, I wanted to ask how long can eggs at day 18-19 go without their mother or heat. Cos things just got even worse, I found 3 of the 4 eggs out from under her and they were cool, not stone cold, but barely luke-warm, I have put them back under her hoping they are not dead. But I just need to know cos I reckon they would have been out for about an hour. Its not my first time with hatching from broodies but it sure is the worst time.
I need help so bad. I will be really upset if out of 18 eggs I only get 1.

Thank you

I'm so sorry you are having such bad luck with this hatch. Half an hour without broody on them shouldn't be a problem, because broodies leave the nest regularly for some time. One hour I'm not sure. It also depends on the actual temperatures at where you live. It is good that they were still warm and not totally cold. I never experienced such a situation, but I think one hour should not kill them. Perhaps they will now need a bit longer till they start to hatch, as with lower incubation temperatures.
Fingers crossed for your 4 eggs :fl I think there is still a chance that they are just fine :hugs (But I'm not an expert)

I'm so sorry you are having such bad luck with this hatch. Half an hour without broody on them shouldn't be a problem, because broodies leave the nest regularly for some time. One hour I'm not sure. It also depends on the actual temperatures at where you live. It is good that they were still warm and not totally cold. I never experienced such a situation, but I think one hour should not kill them. Perhaps they will now need a bit longer till they start to hatch, as with lower incubation temperatures.
Fingers crossed for your 4 eggs :fl I think there is still a chance that they are just fine :hugs (But I'm not an expert)
I really hope so, I dont wabt to candle them since they are within 3 days of hatching. The only reason it happened is cos it is her first time being broody with eggs anf she is blind in her left eye and has a bent neck (kinda like chicken scoliosis) so she cant see that well. But thank you for the info🥰

Usually if they're not stone cold, they'll be okay when they warm up. Heck, i had one sitting at 60° in my house for a few days before we eggtopsied it and it was actually still alive unfortunately.
Oh thats very unfortunate about that chick. And that gives me a but of hope that they are ok, but cant guarantee it. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom