This is so exciting!

Pupsnpullets

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal desert
I have an elderly (7yrs) red hen, supposedly cuckoo marans x RIR, who looks like a RIR with white earlobes. She has a great disposition and is still regularly laying a large buff/light brown coloured egg. And always with her signature 2 or 3 extra calcium deposits at one end. Have never been able to hatch any of her eggs.

I also have an older (5yrs) probably red sexlink rooster who I thought was a good looking, genial dud.

When one of my young layers went clucky I threw half a dozen of the old red hen's eggs under her just because ... well, curiosity perhaps? Didn't need anymore babies cos I've still got the 9 I hatched out earlier this year and 6 of them are girls.

Well, between an old hen, a dud rooster and an untried, inexperienced momma I have 3 beautiful little red babies this morning with the definate possibility of 2-3 more!!!
wee.gif
ya.gif
One egg is pipping, another is making pipping sounds and the third is a mystery.

Now I'm scrambling to create a safe home for them as I'm going out of town for 4 days!! Maybe I'll just scoop them all up and take them with. My loose calculations (made cos I didn't think for a minute any thing would come of this experiment) had them hatching on Monday when I'd be back in town. Oops!

Any suggestions?

Bewildered Barb

But wait ... there's more!!

One more little red baby has made it into the world. The other 2 eggs aren't looking too hopeful, though.

Barb

This turned out kinda crazy. Not expecting babies at all, I'd planned to leave town for 4 days (the babies weren't due til the Monday of my return anyway - or so I thought). I ended up throwing mom and 4 little survivors into a varikennel, loaded them onto the back of the pickup and took them into Newport Beach with me. So the little family chilled with me in the heart of the 'O.C' - as in the OC of the tv series.

They also took a little side trip to a KinderCare where a friend of mine is a student teacher. All the kids had a blast playing with the chicks closely supervised by a couple of anxious mother hens - me and the feathered one!

We are now all back home again and I'm going to see if I can get some pictures uploaded of my little gypsy family.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom