This is the only space i have, is it going to be enough ?

Quote:
If i get Racoons in England I will make the evening news. LOL

Sparrowhawks, Foxes, Cats & me are them main problems the hens will have.

Reg

I agree unless its an excapee from a zoo we don't get racoons, foxes yes and in my area I believe red kites but no racoons.

Hi Reg that coop is very similar to the one we are going to build inside area 5'x4' and the run approx 5'x14' to hold 6 bantams in the UK the recomendations differ slightly to the USA if you check out the RSPCA web site it gives the minimum guidelines there. I'm in Derbyshire and my daughter has lost a few hens to the cold despite putting wind breaks up so we will be insulating our coop and closing the pop door in winter. just leaving vents open.
one bit of advice if you dont have restrictions on how many chickens you can have build bigger than you need now chicken math is catching. you never have enough lol.

just a thought daughter started with 4 pol in a 2x3' tool shed she has added more on a reasonably regular basis up graded to a much bigger coop and run and has approx 30 birds of mixed breeds in one run with no problems my silkie bantam and mottled pekin are just 2 off them when i get them home i will be having different breeds in the one coop/run and as my silkie has an attitude i dare say she'll be boss. to introduce new birds she puts them in a small pen with coop alongside the big one for a few days to get them used to each other.

Cats haven't been a problem they seem to stay away but the run is totally enclosed with chicken wire inc. roof and so far no problems with foxs'

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats not a house. Thats my shed
lol.png

75574_path.jpg

You could just cut a pop door in that shed, put in some more ventliation, run a piece of hardware cloth to the fence - and BAM and your coop is ready! Really, how much shed room do you need? The hens are much more rewarding....

Quote:
Yep it is small

8 x 6 run

6 x 3 coop but above the run

But as i said from Oct to March they get the greenhouse aswel which will be give them a 16 x 6 run which will also protect them from the wind & add heat from the sun on the glass. In the summer i hope to let them out every night for a run about.

My run has concreate path all round outside, It has 1/2 mess on side which are 6ft & a plywood roof. Only a mouse could get in there.

Coop vents yes with covers to close if to cold & a light.

Run is built on a veg patch so i intend to dig it over most weekends. should keep the birds busy & me fit !

When the growned becomes to mushy I will it dig it out & replace with soil from other parts of the garden.

Does this all sound so bad ?

Quote:
Yep it is small

8 x 6 run

But as i said from Oct to March they get the greenhouse aswel which will be give them a 16 x 6 run which will also protect them from the wind & add heat from the sun on the glass. In the summer i hope to let them out every night for a run about.

My run has concreate path all round outside, It has 1/2 mess on side which are 6ft & a plywood roof. Only a mouse could get in there.

Run is built on a veg patch so i intend to dig it over most weekends. should keep the birds busy & me fit !

When the growned becomes to mushy I will it dig it out & replace with soil from other parts of the garden.

I think you may find the run will be eternally muddy - I was originally thinking of doing a similar thing to you, but am reworking my plans on advice I got on a muddy run thread somewhere on here...

Path finished

Start making Coop next weekl

Went to a farm to see some birds today they looked great 4 differnt colours hens, 16 weeks old.

It has only encouraged me to work faster. shame its winter light gone by time i get home from work.

What does a standard point of lay bird cost in USA ?

£13 to £16 in UK

Quote:
Yep it is small

8 x 6 run

I think you may find the run will be eternally muddy - I was originally thinking of doing a similar thing to you, but am reworking my plans on advice I got on a muddy run thread somewhere on here...

Its all about building experience I guess if it does not work It should not be a big problem to change over to a different floor system.

Good luck with your new chickens!! I just wanted to say from experience that different breeds CAN live well together. I did what you are doing, and bought from a farmer with a variety of breeds all raised together on one farm. I've since joined other chickens from other flocks with my own (after proper quarantine) and for me, (in case you ever need this information in the future) the key has been space during meet ups. The smaller the space, the easier it was for them to fixate on the new gals and start trouble.
You mentioned making a run for them to move about your yard, and that's a really great idea. I thought you might like this gallery to look over: http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html
Before we moved to the country, that's what we used, and I had three full sized hens in mine.
You asked about cost... I'm not sure what the conversion would be, but I paid $20.00 a piece for my laying hens when they were pullets and just about ready to start laying.
Sand in your floor will help tremendously with the mud issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom