this is why i dont get chicks from a hatchery......

Status
Not open for further replies.

me and my marans

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
look at this link...
somad.gif

in my opinion its not right to treat animals like this....

link to activist video removed

I never have and never will get chicks from a hatchery, Thats just my opinion!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont even have to click the link to know that its that "How Its Made" show, where they show the chicks being thrown down the slides. Its been posted, its been argued, its been killed once before. I can only hope that moderator does the same thing with this one....

Yeah...I've seen that one before. On the other hand, it shows how hardy the little things are. I kind of look at it like having a baby circumcised...they don't remember it after it's done. I did get my chicks (chickens) from a hatchery.
I guess it bothers me more about what happens to all the chicks (especially the males) that aren't bought. And the idea of commercial chicken farm conditions. Yet I still buy chicken meat from the store. So I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrit in that regard...

I saw that on TV. And I must agree, It seems like hatcheries have become too industrialized. I prefer to buy from regular people like us. I've found all of my birds from either BYC or Craigslist.

Why would you want to kill this thread? I would say it's a rather important topic. Kinda like the show that was on PBS, that showed the aweful living conditions that chickens that are used for industrialized purposes (meat and eggs) I think one should know where the hatcheries chicks come from, as well as what the meat and eggs birds endure.
idunno.gif

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can respect your opinion, but I just ordered 25 from a hatchery and don't regret it at all. I was able to order the exact number, kind and gender I wanted, and all the same age to be raised together, which is a benefit for me.

As for the way the chicks are handled in the video, they seem to be really tough little creatures. Just like human babies too. A baby's bones and tissues are pretty flexible (for a reason). God's great design includes the fact that very small "infants" can be mishandled a little bit, dropped, etc., by inexperienced caretakers, like first time parents. I can imagine it's not real comfortable for a newborn chick to get sat on by a big fat hen either! LOL.

Again, I respect your opinion though. You have to stand up for what you think is right, just as others do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom