This is why you should have a covered run

This morning I had an awful scare. I went out to clean my coops and all of my hens had stuffed themselves under the rear coop in the covered run. However, my two roosters, who normally free-range all day, had vanished. All was deathly silent.

Expecting to find two mangled bodies, I went in search of the roos. I walked in an expanding loop around the run, and as I was getting farther away, I heard the boys frantic screeching back in the vicinity of the run. I ran back and found them sheltering next to the fence around my squash patch. I led them back to the run where they were very eager to go in where it was safe.

I assumed it was a lone coyote that sometimes lurks, contemplating what chicken tastes like. (Probably a lot like wild turkey) I headed into the house to make tea and calm my nerves when the chickens all started making a hysterical racket. As I looked around for that spooky coyote, I caught a glimpse of a large bird gliding overhead. It landed in a pine right next to the run. Did I mention my run is covered? I ran into the house and grabbed the camera.View attachment 2835185As I stood watching, a raven flew in and landed on a treetop nearby. The hawk pretended to ignore it, but flew off a minute later. Since the ravens moved into the neighborhood some years back, I've had very few hawks where before, they were dive bombing my chickens, sometimes while they were standing right next to me. Now the ravens will chase the occasional hawk out of the area.

It would have been such an easy shot with a .22 rifle, but these predators are protected in the United States under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (16 USC, 703-711. It wasn't necessary, at any rate, since the raven took care of the problem.
Yup

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this.... but I'd put money on it that the chicken was killed by something else and the hawk went in scavenging. Hawks don't kill too many adult chickens...it happens, but it's infrequent. Also, hawks don't walk up to chickens and peck them to death. If a hawk kills a chicken, it does it by swooping down fast and hitting the chicken from above with it's feet.... the hawk couldn't have swooped from above inside this run.
Azygous above commented that "it would have been an easy shot" except for the federal protection.... as if that is a bad thing. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but I'm very glad they're protected. They're beautiful, incredible birds. I live my chickens, but they cost $3 if I occasionally lose one and have to replace it. In 15 years of having chickens, I've lost quite a few to fox, dogs, possibly a coyote, bunches to raccoons, and I had a weasel problem once.... I do suspect that one (1) was lost to a hawk....but it's just a guess. One chicken in 10 years isn't worth killing all the hawks in my area (if it were legal). However, if it were legal...I know they'd be slaughtered. I caught my neighbor shooting a beautiful big redtail because he thought it "may" kill a chicken someday, and our rabbit club kills dozens of them a year. It's tragic that all people don't value these birds more.
Well you just lost your money! I was just out with my chickens. They were all alive and fine. I went to get their snack came back outside Upon walking into the enclosed run wondering why they weren’t visible I notice a hawk 20 feet away from me! The little pullet was laying there dead. The hawk couldn’t figure out how to go back 60 ft and take a right through the screen door. I assume my chickens ran into the fully enclosed run when the hawk flew towards them and the hawk followed them in through the door.

Great picture, reality staring you squarely in the face. I have the same. We have a buzzard who upgraded to the fly through option. Picking up a quick meal. He is supposed to eat road kill but he thought it was a great entrepreneurial manouvre to build a nest 50 yards from my chickens. I keep them in their runs but on hot days when they see me coming they know they may dive into lustrous green, bugs calling.
I will then stay and be their Summer guard with the dog tidying, etc, reading, drawing as we do not have enough lovely days outside in The Netherlands. When we do, we grasp them with hands, feet, tallons and sticky toffee. Oh the dog is of no use, she doesn’t help with chores 😁. Anyway, as more of you have said: the crows are quite a help. ( hate them love them) If they can’t get to the baby chicks first they definitely sound the alarm and scare off. So do the pigeons eating my cherries. Which they may as long as they signal the buzzard’s proximity. I have grown some shrubs where the chickens can hide and I identified a killing spot ( mortal losses). But I’ve learned. The buzzard drives them in a corner where they can’t escape. He is not the only evolving creature here. I have set up safe houses for fleeing fowl.
Since I have three runner ducks things may have changed.
They’re more alert. Their lovely beady eyes just check the sky better than the chickens. And the buzzard did try, but the ducks were 3 steps ahead plus had level bonuses.
They keep my chickens safe. Apart from the fact that my rooster Guiliamme and my drake Smarty Sparty ( spartacus ) have issues.
Of course this is a scenario in The Netherlands. A hawk is not yet part of the equation. ( please please no). And I have hobby Cochin bantams. Pearl gray. Very easy catch. I have found when I temporarily had Ayam Cemani that none were taken to heaven.

Protected. Well I have thoughts about that one. It’s not easy to shoot a critter in the trees or air. But a contained one? Not so hard. This one probably would have had its last meal.

Back
Top Bottom