This isn't normal.

auntie hattie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I just got this new Ameraucana and this is how she sleeps. She will put her head in her wing but that doesn't last long because as she goes deeper into sleep her head falls back. So what you are seeing in the picture is her laying on her stomach and her head turned completely around and sticking up in the air.
Don't know what to think of it. She is perfectly normal in every other way. Weird. Anyone else's chicken do this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/97968_photo.jpg

97968_photo.jpg

Last edited:
She doesn't have any of the other symptoms. I've had her for a week now and she has slept like this everyday. She eats fine and sleeps on a roost at night. She just does this in the day. Everything else seems ok. We just thought it was a funny behavior. Should I still be concerned?

Wouldn't she have other symptoms by now? Man now I'm worried. I got her from a breeder from California. I guess I could ask her if her chickens are sick. She is also a member of this forum.

So I'm reading about this disease and it sounds really serious. Anybody with any experience with it? I know the picture looks like she is on deaths door but she has been acting fine. I was out most of the day with them today. Anybody give me some help in what to look for and how fast this makes a bird sick?

believe new castle is an over reaction out here in california
your bird looks fine to me , just sleeping in an odd way .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom