This isnt pure IB :((

farmgal2

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
western new york
ok, I just picked up 2 young peahens, yesterday. I was told they are pure IB's. I dont want any pieds. I just want some pure blues. Anyway. taking a closer look this one has one white feather on her left wing. And its white, not tan. There are no other white feathers on either hen, they are sisters. one dad with possibilities of 2 moms. I saw the moms and dad. I didnt see any white feathers on either. Is she a mix or can they have a white feather and be pure?
Heres the feather in question..Bear with me, I am new to peafowl and all the color language.

40802_peafowl2_002.jpg

Thank you
Marie

Looks like a split to me. But, you will never get anything but blue out of her as long as she is mated to a true blue. You could get some more with white wing feathers, but even those few will look blue. I was disappointed when I realized that I had split birds, but after my first hatch I am glad that they are split. Splits are not mutts. They can prove to be far more valuable than pure. Also, somewhere down the line you may want to get a white male for her and try for those pieds and whites.

dont see a white throat patch. By the way birds split to another color are worth alot more than just blues.

could be split, or a odd white feather can show up in blues

I don't know anything about peafowl either but I LOVE them and I think your lucky to have them!
Beautiful birds, thanks for sharing the pics!

don't let the white feather bother you.... IB is essentially a color variety. in the peafowl world we really only have 2 breeds... blue and green (3 different species of green)
So your hen isn't a "mutt". she is still an IB.... and will produce all IB's when bred to another IB.
Also, pied is a pattern gene, not a color gene.
We don't register pedigrees in the poultry world like we do with dogs. There is no way of knowing if any of us have a "pure" colored IB.... unles we go to the jungle and catch one
big_smile.png

just enjoy her
smile.png

Last edited:
ha ha, Thanks for the posts. I do appreciate the hens, dont get me wrong.

the ones sniffle is gone. I wanted blues because around here no one has the IB's anymore. They all have the pied and other colors mostly white with black on them. I like that shinny blue. Either way, I only paid 36$ for both of them. I had to drive 2 hours away tho...lol

They act really scared. The boy who owned them said he had 11 hatch this year but their dog killed all of them but these 2. So my dog cant go by their pen or they flip out. I keep her away from them. I have the other 4 peafowl in another pen and I let my dog in when I clean and feed them and they dont care. they walk right up to her. My dog just sits and watches them. She eats their feed too..lol

My bf was working on the new 12 x 9 peahouse(its almost done) and he saw the 2 new peahens. He's like whats that? What are those? why do you have more?...When did you get them and why? lol..lol I just smiled...

Wow.. for miles around here, pretty much only color available are blues. Whites are very uncommon.. but they show up here and there.. only saw pied twice.. Only saw purple and cameo once.

However at my place out of uh.. 100 or so? peafowl only 2 are blues lol.. have a group of 7 blue youngsters but they are crosses/splits.

Peachick is right, they are pure India.. a white India is still a pure India.. I get that you want only blues, no other color variety though.

Think of them like dogs breeds.

Poodle are found in black or white and etc. they are still pure poodle. same with the peafowl.

Now spalding are mixed like cockapoo are mix of two dog breeds.

Back
Top Bottom