This keeps growing inside my chickens mouth & throat. . .

If in fact it's wet fowl pox, you can remove the lesions and swab the mouth with iodine. There will be alot of blood but the iodine should prevent reinfection. You have to remove ALL lesions and if there are some in the trachea or down in the esophagus, there's nothing you can do. Lesions can also infect the crop, this also true for canker.
The bad thing about canker is that birds are carriers for life once infected, not so with fowl pox. However, lesions are highly infective to other birds, particularly birds with dry pox. Birds can have both dry and wet pox at the same time. After it slowly passes through a flock, birds are immune to that particular strain for life.
Birds with wet pox have about a 50% chance of surviving.

Okay so how do we rule out one vs the other?

Gilly was the only survivor of my flock who were met with avian pox about 2 years ago.
None of the others had wet pox. Just the dry pox.

I am inclined to treat with thyme (administered orally showed to be as effective as metronidazole according to http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker ) and Acidified Copper Sulfate before I get into removing all of the lesions.

Re Iodine: 100% iodine? We have to assume she will swallow some of it. This is safe?

Thanks for the info.

Genetian violet also helps a bit with canker as does campho pheniqe gel for people. Dab both directly on the canker.
Had a faverolles with it and it was persistent so I got creative.:)

Thanks. No problem if swallowed by hen? What happened to the cankers on your faverolles?

You dab both with a q-tip for minimal swallowing. The cankers shrank and haven't come back it took a good week of topical treatment.
Tried everything else, it seemed to get better but never completely gone. Btw, my hen got it from drinking from the birdbath.:sick
Thanks. No problem if swallowed by hen? What happened to the cankers on your faverolles?

I would think that you would be seeing some dry pox on combs, wattles or faces now. The actinomyces that I mentioned earlier, can appear like that, and it is a bacteria that responds to both amoxicillin and penicillin. It does not have a bad odor. Actinomyces can show up in the same spot again after being removed.

As far as swallowing gentian violet, we used to paint baby’s mouths with it years ago in hospitals to treat thrush, a fungal infection. After nystatin was invented, no one used gential violet any more. Iodine in small amounts is used to treat water while camping, so a small amount won’t kill you.

I would think that you would be seeing some dry pox on combs, wattles or faces now. The actinomyces that I mentioned earlier, can appear like that, and it is a bacteria that responds to both amoxicillin and penicillin. It does not have a bad odor. Actinomyces can show up in the same spot again after being removed.

As far as swallowing gentian violet, we used to paint baby’s mouths with it years ago in hospitals to treat thrush, a fungal infection. After nystatin was invented, no one used gential violet any more. Iodine in small amounts is used to treat water while camping, so a small amount won’t kill you.

Gilly already had avian pox so I don't think the dry pox would come back, right?

Ok, thank you for the info.

Will be trying the thyme oil first. If no results will move on to the Genetian Violet. I may do both of these in conjunction with the Acidified Copper Sulfate in the water source.
If no results are obtained I will then try the iodine.

Will keep you posted as progress is made (hopefully).

Thank you ALL for contributing and for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

Genetian violet also helps a bit with canker as does campho pheniqe gel for people. Dab both directly on the canker.
Had a faverolles with it and it was persistent so I got creative.:)

Do I want Alcohol free Genetian violet? Or does it not matter. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom