This lady needs a roofing coach

SunnyAlberta

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Canada - Garden Zone 3
I'd really like to fix the leaky roof of my coop myself ... if only just to prove I can do it. The old cedar is good, its just that the spaces between the boards let rain in. Is there something simple I could attach to the existing wood slats to make the roof waterproof? Could the roof be insulated? I'd like pretty shakes, too. Am I pushing my limits? After I deal with the roof I'll need to make doors that keep more draft out so I can get rid of the tarp I drape over the top and front of the coop for good. Hubby rebuilt the interior and made an attached run for my rabbit hutch coop. He's the handy person in the family. Can I do this? Thanks in advance.

Before picture. Only the interior and attached run have changed, so far.

Last edited:
Could try clear silicone sealant in the gaps and also you could get clear plexiglass for the doors so your chickens can see out and still get sunlight and you also can see them. Good luck

Do you know how silicone will stand up to a Canadian winter? I like the idea of plexiglass on the doors. Hubby put plexiglass over the wire floor and it sure cleans up nicely. Thanks for your ideas.

Last edited:
The label should tell you what temp range it will work in. Make sure its window grade or exterior use and NOT latex as latex doesnt flex enough in extreme temp changes. Im sure it will work fine in canada tho.

You don't have enough pitch for shakes. But how about a piece of rolled roofing? Or corrugated roofing? The plastic type is cheap and easy to work with and it can be painted any color (our's is "copper" and the paint has lasted over six summers now. You can add rigid foam panels under the roofing for added insulation. It's solid so cuts down on drafts.

Last edited:
You don't have enough pitch for shakes.
Oh. Good to know. Thanks.

But how about a piece of rolled roofing? Or corrugated roofing? ...You can add rigid foam panels under the roofing for added insulation. It's solid so cuts down on drafts.
Thanks. I'm looking that up now.

thumbsup.gif

You could nail some cheap 1"x3" firing strips over the gaps in the roof boards. That would ber really easy and still keep the look you have now. Firing strip are cheap and easy to find at most any home improvement store.

Back
Top Bottom