This may be a really dumb question But......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Atrayou, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Atrayou

Atrayou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    I have only been around chickens for the past 6 years. My husband had them when I met him. He told me they were "Bantam" Chickens.......My question is.....Is Bantam a breed? or is it a size??? If that is a size terminology then I have no idea what the breed of my chickens are.
    Sounds ignorant I know but after going through the breed chart I am now confused. I have joined this site/forum to learn as much as I can. I am not one for getting and reading books. I will however read stuff off the computer......any answers or help would be greatly appreciated. I have lot's of questions but feel kind of stupid posting them. I notice that all members here seem to have a lot of knowledge......Please bare with me I have lot's to learn. I adore my chickens and want to learn everything I can about them and their care etc.
    Thank you so much.

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Chickens come in bantams and large fowl. Bantams are the small versions. Kind of like ponies and horses. Some breeds have small and large versions, and some only come in one size.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Bantam is just a size not a breed. It gets confusing when feed stores sell straight run bantams with out listing breeds. If you post pictures of your bantams we might be able to help figure out breed.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    No such thing as a dumb question..... okay, there are a few out there, but this isn't one of them! Bantam is size related, not specific breed.

Welcome to BYC, after a few more posts you will be able to include pics. The following link is to the FAQ, it's got links to a lot of interesting and helpful info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1198

5. Atrayou

Atrayou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thank you everyone I have been so busy...what I am going to do is just make a few sort posts so I can put up photo's and you all can help me out.....Oh and TYVM for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by