This may be a stupid ? But you don`t know until you ask.

BackSwampGirl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
Richlands,NC 28574
sad.png
I know I may should know all of this stuff.But I don`t know everything,and probably never will.My new little baby chicks will be 6 days old on Friday.And they have a poop problem,i don`t think it is serious,but it is is sticking to their little butts.I know this sounds stupid.But I came home today and looked on them and it was stuck on 3 of them.I took a baby wipe and wet it with warm water and tried to get it off.I was so afraid I would hurt it.It came off,but do u think I may have hurt it.I put soem neosporin on it ,not much but just a little and they acted like it did not bother them.But do u think it will hurt them,,,I know I am always worrying.And I am sure all is laughing...BUt it really looked uncomfortable.Any advice!!! They have a clean brooder,that is no problem!!!!

You did the right thing on taking it off. Pasty butt can be fatal.
You did the opposite of hurting them, so don't worry and go on enjoying your chicks.

Yes , get it off ! Once it's clean , put olive oil around the area , it will help to keep the poo off ! I did it on this years chicks , and haven't had to pick any off yet !
wink.png

also when watering chicks give them wter that is room temperature, never cold. They seem to get a chill internally and then paste up. keep the waterer close to the heat source to keep it fairly warm. another trick is to give them corn meal with thier feed.

mike

I won't get my chicks for over a month, but a number of the replies to this post gave me info that I didn't already know, and will be a big help when they arrive. Thanks for asking, and thanks to all that replied!

Back
Top Bottom