This may be ridiculous, but I have a question about protecting chickens during free-range days.

Audie_and_Mike

Chirping
Nov 26, 2021
Middle TN, GZ 7a
We have a 5’ fence around the back of our yard (~2/3 acre). When we’re fooling around in the garden or during any other time we let the birds out of their run (the run will be covered completely in 1/2” x 1/2” HW cloth), do I need my husband to keep his shotgun on him and watch for hawks, buzzards, etc., or is our mere presence enough to scare ‘em off? We’re in a small subdivision but it’s somewhat out in the country.

Now we’re totally new so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

The critter snagging your bird probably won't give you a chance to shoot them.

Your presence won't necessarily deter them. If the fence is tight and clear (no ambush points or areas to sneak under) you're probably OK on 2/3 acre. My chickens roam all 5 of mine. There's no way me being outside deters a predator 120 yards away.

:welcome

Not a dumb question. From what I've heard, your presence won't be enough, but you likely wouldn't get a shot off in time either. For limited free time, safe places are your best bet...tree cover, bushes, under a trampoline, etc.

Welcome! I only let my hens free range when I'm out back with them. I worry about hawks and keep a look out for them. Often, the hens spot the hawks before I do and run for cover. So now I also watch their behavior for clues. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom