1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

This newbie has caught the bug.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by act5860, Oct 25, 2014.

1. act5860

act5860 In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    Ridgeland, SC
    I had already ordered 7 day old chicks(4 White Leghorns, 3 Golden Buff (red star)) to be delivered the week of Nov 3 when I found some Delaware day old chicks that would be available the week of Nov 12 and ordered 7 of them also. Will I be able to brood them together or should I keep them separate? My brooder is approximately 24 sq. ft.( it's in my home office). I could put a chicken wire barrier between the two groups if necessary.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I would keep the day old chicks separate until they are a week or two old at least. They need to sleep a lot more than the older ones and they should be eating and drinking well before combining the two groups.
    There should be no more than a 3 week separation in age for chicks to brood together so they should be okay. [​IMG]

4. CliffB

CliffB Songster

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    I started with 9. I meant to start with 6 or 7. I am allowed to have 4 so i had a built in percentage of death and roosters. Well i have lost 4 birds but somehow right now i have 11...oops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: