This owl wont stop attacking my chickens and ducks!

yeah,around 7 is when my chickens walk back into their coop and the owls come late around 1:00,but i usually get up to go and check on them sometimes
You don't lock the coop up...or are they just in a pen??
Pics of your set up would help.
Including the hole the owl bashed thru the chicken wire.

You don't lock the coop up...or are they just in a pen??
Pics of your setup would help.
Including the hole, the owl bashed thru the chicken wire.
lol yes of course I lock it up, I meant they walk in the coop themselves then I come out and lock the door. and also I don't have the net with the hole anymore because when it happened I replaced it with new but still no good chicken wire,but I need to get some good netting before it comes again

I have had owls around here from dusk to dawn. In the middle of the night I have heard them conversing. Every now and then I see them. The owl that went through my crappy netting did it around dusk. This camera was still on daylight savings time so deduct an hour.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg

Eagles, hawks and owls are all protected species. You cannot hunt them or even be in possession of their feathers unless you are a Native American.

With that thought in mind, I'd be calling the local conservation department and telling them that one of THEIR owls is attacking your chickens and ducks and ask them what THEY are going to do about it.

Here in Missouri, if predators are attacking or killing livestock, then we are allowed to hunt them even if not in season. Not so with birds of prey. I have my run covered with heavy duty deer netting and so far no trespassers of the raptor variety. Every now and then I will have a hawk sitting in a nearby tree eyeing the tasty buffet below it in the run but no attempts to dine so far.

I told my husband that if one did get entangled in the netting it would be a hoot to call the conservation dept and tell them to come and get their stupid hawk before I turned my Old English Game Bantams loose on it and it suffered death by a thousand pecks.

We live in a very rural area with lots of predators roaming around & above the property. We used 1/2” welded galvanized hardware cloth on our run roof & walls. The run has 2x4” wood frame to support the hardware cloth. We dug out and buried 2’ hardware cloth around the entire coop run. Has kept any burrowing critters out so far, working great. The actual coop was adapted from an insulated shed which has sheer wood walls & siding, comp roof singles with a cement floor. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom