This owl wont stop attacking my chickens and ducks!

I just think wasting money and losing your birds if don't use a strong 2X4 inches welded wire all around and then close up birds in a secure coop at night. Any openings covered with strong hardware cloth. Too many things like the taste of chicken. If costs too much then go smaller with less birds. Do what you can right way.

I have good heavy duty netting covering all of my pens and nothing has penetrated it. This was a replacement piece for some crappy netting I put up when I ran short of the good netting.
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg

I do have welded wire with chicken wire up in my pens. Only chicken wire for the perimeter fence but I also have electric wires up and nothing has penetrated the chicken wire but it has to get past the electric wires first.
IMG_20200428_102816.jpg
2014-11-18 17.08.29.jpg

These 2 Owls come every night and try to take my chickens and ducks head off. I have a chicken run that had a netted roof with a tarp over it but instead the owl somehow smashed right through it and got a hold of several of my chickens. I may sound crazy but i have a very strong relationship with my chickens and i know all their different personalities,and it hurts so much to wake up and their head is missing. I have covered the roof temporally with another tarp,but does anyone know how i can stop these owls from coming and also what would be a good material for the roof?

Iv herd if you put up a fake owl it puts them off??

I don't shut the pop doors but predators have to get past the electric wires around the coops and pens, concrete under the gates and the heavy duty netting (Tensile Strength: 85/245 LBS per Mesh) that covers all of the pens.

These 2 Owls come every night and try to take my chickens and ducks head off. I have a chicken run that had a netted roof with a tarp over it but instead the owl somehow smashed right through it and got a hold of several of my chickens. I may sound crazy but i have a very strong relationship with my chickens and i know all their different personalities,and it hurts so much to wake up and their head is missing. I have covered the roof temporally with another tarp,but does anyone know how i can stop these owls from coming and also what would be a good material for the roof?
hello! So sorry to hear about your predator problem. I am going to post a video/pic of my new coop and run I built. With heavy gauge wire. I live in the country in deep woods and have had no issues. Hope this helps!

hello! So sorry to hear about your predator problem. I am going to post a video/pic of my new coop and run I built. With heavy gauge wire. I live in the country in deep woods and have had no issues. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 325935E3-BAF6-420D-B948-428160885E3A.jpeg
    325935E3-BAF6-420D-B948-428160885E3A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Some people have said they can't cover their pens because they have trees in them. You seemed to make it work. I did too. I didn't use wire but do have good heavy duty netting covering my pens.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

Have delt with coons and not owls.. experiance is a good teacher.. teachers can be wrong.. that is why student excels the teacher.. Use chicken wire on top your run.. unless they carry wire cutters. Then use your 12 gauge wire cutter.. bury immediately.

Back
Top Bottom