this plastic box as a brooder for 9 chicks??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hoesandchicks, Jun 11, 2016.

1. hoesandchicks

hoesandchicks New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    [​IMG]
    i got a couple days old baby chicks. how old woukd they be until i need to put them in a bigger cage? i also have the big 1 gallon waterer that takes up lot of space.
    [​IMG]
    Also would these protuded edges harm the chicks in any way? Should i cut them off or is it ok to leave them? thanks yall

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    A few layers of news paper and I would be good to go. Those plastic edges should pose any problem.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    The box is fine, but you should put some wood chips in it for litter to absorb the spilt water and the droppings. Don't worry about the edges.

Warning! You have less than 2 weeks before they will be able to fly out of that box. Only days until you find one sitting on top of the waterer.

You can buy some time by putting a screen or netting on top of the box to keep then in.

But otherwise, get busy to get them a coop!!!!

4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    it's fine.. for the 1-2 week..

you will need a larger box or move them to a temporary pen as they grow larger

use some type of bedding so it's soft for them to run + easy to clean

i use pine shavings flakes(but it's up to you)

don't worry about the edges. .just put down a deep layer of bedding to cover them

you started out with something better than me.. my family just brought the chickens home one night so i used the cardboard box for the first few weeks (but only as a coop).. i put them outside in the pen during the day on day 1 so had no problem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

x2

9 chicks will crowd that space really quickly!! You MIGHT make it last for 2 weeks, but may need to move them out sooner. Newspaper can be slick-ish...bedding is better.

6. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    i tried newspapers/printing papers.. then shredded them..

not a good ideal.. especially cross cut

too much dust.. so i was worry about my chicks' lungs so i threw out that idea

plus color newspapers can't really be compost due to the color ink can be toxic to the soil.. so i threw them in the trash can instead

black ink would be fine.. but most newspapers around here are in color..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by