This really irratates me

lilblessings5

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Illinois
Some lady stopped by today to buy some Eggs - She came to the door and asked me how much. I sell my eggs for $2.00 a dozen ~ we all know on here that this is not making much of anything. She tells me that "thats too much". Now, I don't need her business- I usually sell out of my eggs every week. BUT it really irratates me cause I know that at the cheapest grocery store around here - store bought eggs are running $1.69. Do people really expect us to sell eggs at a loss? I figure she wasn't really wanting farm fresh just cheap! Oh- and I know others sell their eggs for $3.00 a dozen of course I've heard of some that sell for $1.50.
Okay- Vent over -thanks for listening.

She was angling you... don't worrry about "no counts"... Let her raise her own for eggs. I might have asked her what she expected to pay...Being that the chickens cost 15 dollars to get to adult size and in their lifetime they only produce so much and then there is worming and special care etc.... What is it worth to her to have her eggs in her yard... Since 2 dollars a dozen isn't even breaking even.

P.S. Around these parts... they go for 3.75... Some as high as 4.25.... for the free range hormone free etc... (dream on lady... she can't have any of mine!!)

he.gif
Isn't it nice when they come all the way to your door to insult you? I get $3.00 dz for mine here. Some people won't buy them for that, but there are a fair number of "green" folks around here and they are happy to pay that knowing that the chooks are well cared for and free range over several acres during the day. I just tell the ones that want grocery store sale prices for fresh eggs that they can go buy them at the store if they're not comfortable with the prices I charge. It's frusterating though I know, I mean even at $3.00 a dozen and NOT counting coop construction I don't even come close to making monthly costs and I'm sure you're not either.

Vent away, we understand!
hugs.gif

In the grocery store here extra large brown eggs "Organic" are $5.00 a dozen. That's in the store! probably two months old! 2 bucks a dozen would'nt come close to paying my feed bill, if I were selling my eggs. I only have 8 hens, and usually just give away eggs to friends that me and my family don't eat.

Ask on the Marans thread what they would part with their little jewels for... ha ha.. Not even close!!! We are unscrupulously greedy with our red little jewels....

Eh tell her you charge an extra $.50 for the insult and that when/if she comes back and keeps her mouth shut she can get them for regular price
lol.png

Well to be honest - she is the first one that has come to buy and walked away and said it was too much..so I was so shocked I didn't know how to respond. I just said "okay" "thank you" "bye".

I've had other Old gentlemen farmers ask my husband what I sell them for and its funny cause when he tells them they are like "Oh, I can get them from the Amish for $1.50 or $1.00" however they end up buying MY Eggs! So I have to laugh at that.

No one takes in account the work that goes behind the product. DRIVES ME NUTS

the next time this happens you should advise them to price check the cage free or free range dozen eggs in the grocery store. I am sure yours are a way better price than those.

we also sell ours for $2 per dozen. I thought I could get more for them but DH doesn't think people will pay it. but we have a good customer base, and sell practically every egg.

You're always going to have ones that think it's too much. but there will be more that like the price!!

I do have a few folks that I will sell eggs to at a discount because I think they need them and I know they're hard up. I'd simply give them the eggs for free, but for the fact they are proud and wouldn't accept them.

But for everyone else it's three dollars a dozen or go to the grocery store for their eggs. I'll take them to the homeless shelter before I'll sell at a loss.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom