This rescue is making me question everything

CWCMama

Chirping
Dec 23, 2020
So I rescued this gal back in August to add to my flock. The previous owner didn't have any info. What breed (I think a Cochin?), how old (definitely over 12 months), etc. Anyhow, she acclimated perfectly and got along with just about everyone (leghorns and isa's). But I never knew if she was laying or not. The owner said she laid brown eggs. I did have 2 times where we got a few extra brown eggs, but I figured the kid must have missed picking them up.

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago. We had a major predator attack and lost everyone but the new gal. Then fast forward a few days later. No eggs from her and but she started doing this pitiful crow in the morning. 😳🤔

We secured the coop situation up and 2 weeks ago got hey a new friend (the new one went through a major molt so still no eggs) so we didn't just have one chicken. But we still have our pathetic crower. Adding more to flock here after the new year.

I'm so confused! do we have a roo or just a confused hen?

Side note - our neighbor wanted her back in August to add to her current chicken situation. She has a roo. And the roo saw her and started doing the roo shuffle. The neighbor ended up giving her back to me the next day.

First photo is from the other week.
Second photo is the day I brought her home.

Attachments

• 20201122_102651.jpg
    20201122_102651.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200809_162854.jpg
    20200809_162854.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It's a girl. Odds are that when the hens were decimated, it did an instinctual shock to her. Ice heard of hens going into rooster mode sometimes when it might mean the end of the flock survival wise
That's kinda what I was thinking... But I wasn't 100% since she's still crowing after getting her a friend.

Poor girl! Sounds like she's stressed from the attack and all the changes to her flock, living situation, etc. Chickens hate change and she's been through a lot. How is she getting along with the new hens you got? If that's going OK, she probably needs some time and reassurance.

She’s a cochin hen. When my top hen was temporarily removed from her flock, the one second in command started crowing. Maybe she’s higher up in the pecking order now and feels more inclined to crow. Also, a rooster doing the wing shuffle to a hen is perfectly normal, mine used to do it all the time.

Poor girl! Sounds like she's stressed from the attack and all the changes to her flock, living situation, etc. Chickens hate change and she's been through a lot. How is she getting along with the new hens you got? If that's going OK, she probably needs some time and reassurance.
She freaked right out the morning after we brought the new gal home. Definitely established that she was at the top of the heap.. Though she's tiny. They are thick as thieves now!

She’s a cochin hen. When my top hen was temporarily removed from her flock, the one second in command started crowing. Maybe she’s higher up in the pecking order now and feels more inclined to crow. Also, a rooster doing the wing shuffle to a hen is perfectly normal, mine used to do it all the time.
The call back to the roo shuffle is what made me think she was a hen... But I just wasn't certain. In all my time, I've never had a hen crow. Lol

The call back to the roo shuffle is what made me think she was a hen... But I just wasn't certain. In all my time, I've never had a hen crow. Lol
Ah. If you were wondering, roosters will also do the wing shuffle to other roosters. However, I’m still convinced that your cochin is a hen.

Back
Top Bottom