This rooster was supposed to be a hen

mbiondo

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Ramona, CA
OK I am trying to be funny even though I don't go along with such things.
Can anyone out there tell me how to sex change my rooster chick - back to the hen she was supposed to b?. She practiced her crowing today. Ramona Grange people, she was a rooster!!. But she's a beauty!!
How long before there is conflict with my Cochin rooster?

What breed is he? Some slower maturing or more doclie breeds like your cochin, brahmas, and some others really don't have many issues with a young roo growing up under an older roo. My oops barred rock roo--28ish weeks--has never challenged my established bsl roo. He does crow some but I've never seen him mate a hen.

Usually about 6-7 months is when they start wanting dominance, but it will just vary on your birds, the amount of space and hens, etc.

Six hens and three young'ns. Sylvia was such a pretty, colorful hen, we will call HIM Blaze now.
Hopefully you will be right and he will be happy with the three when they all grow up. Separated now.
Thanks for your thoughts. Getting cold here in Ramona at night that is, Fall is beautiful.WI too

Thank you. So far they all seem happy. "Sylvia/Blaze" sleeps next the Chanchy (our 18 lb rooster)
We so like our flock!

My friend has 11 roosters all housed together in a coop at night and they free range during the day. Somebody dumped them on his land and he kept them. He doesn't have any problems at all. He has no hens though so I wonder if that makes a difference.

My friend has 11 roosters all housed together in a coop at night and they free range during the day. Somebody dumped them on his land and he kept them. He doesn't have any problems at all. He has no hens though so I wonder if that makes a difference.

Yes it makes a big difference. Bachelor groups of boys are usually pretty peaceful, especially if they've been raised together.

It sounds like the main thing to be on the lookout for here is wear and tear on the hens. 6 isn't enough to keep two roos happy, and you may start getting injuries from overbreeding (the subordinate roo will sneak breedings in behind the dominant's back).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom