1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This was funny and at the same time I have a question lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedHead, Jan 29, 2009.

1. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    I put a plastic bowl with food in the brooder today for until I get another feeder made (so I can get some sleep at night instead of waking up 2 times to fill the feeder) and I walked in the room about 5 mins ago and to my surprise one of my lil girls was laying in the middle of the bowl full of food and dust bathing lol as funny and as cute as it was (they're all 2 1/2wks old) I need to know if I should make a spot in there for them to actually dust bathe in. They already do it in the pine bedding that I have in there but should I give them some de or something?

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Do you have a fireplace?
    You can give them a bowl of ashes, as long as they are 'clean' ashes (no additives from starters or anything).

Or some play sand.

3. RedHead

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    I don't have a fireplace, but I do have a fire pit outside, but no telling what hubby has burned in it lol and my place is quite a few miles from anywhere and my car is broken down and my hubby is at work [​IMG]
    but we do have a beach at the end of our property, would it be ok to use that sand?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    As long as you have dry sand, dead leaves, wood ashes, they will be having fun! The wood ashes need to be woodashes only- no paper, plastic etc. And DEFINITELY no live coals! Or you have roasted cornish hens......

Wish you'd been able to get a pic!

5. RedHead

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    I tried but when I grabbed my cam and went back in the room she wasn't in the bowl any more.
    I did read somewhere on here that chickens like the color red, I didn't think about that when I filled a bright red bowl with food and put it in there, could that have something to do with it? lol but i'll keep my cam handy in case one of em does it again lol

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh we just put a bowl of dirt in there. They had a blast!!'

look:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by