Thompson's Waterseal

HawCreek McCabe

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Need some info ASAP. I purchased Thompson's Waterseal yesterday and coated three plywood boards, (both sides), that will be used for a new coop. I called the 1-800 number located on the side of the can to ask if this will be harmful to the chickens. Their answer was that unless the chickens will be eating off of the plywood, and consumed a large amount, that they should be okay.
My father in law send an email to their site asking the same questions. This was their response, Currently Thompson's does not manufacture a clear finish that is FDA approved. FDA approval is important in terms of whether a product film is safe for incidental ingestion. We do not perform animal testing and therefore cannot test for ingestion. I believe it could be harmful.

Upon this they suggested to call our local vet's office an I just finished doing so. The vet's office said, "It 's not a problem". Now what should I do? Cover the inside of the coop with an eco friendly product or attach 1/4 in plywood, non treated to the inside?
So confused!!
I would really appreciate a bit of direction, thanks.

Modern finishes, paints and stains, are not toxic when cured. This is not the same thing as "food-safe". Nevertheless, chickens don't simply eat the paint off of the structures. They will eat loose items on the ground or flaking off of a surface.

Food-safe finishes have been evaluated for use on cutting boards, bowls, trays, and such in the preparation of food for human consumption.

I agree with those at the vet's office. Nothing to worry about.

Chris

They won't peck at the boards, and if you have a feeder in the coop, even a coating of it on the floor won't be an issue. Adding a layer of litter on the floor, which would absorb any excess pretty quick, but I would make sure it has a chance to cure/absorb beforehand, as much as possible before adding litter, or sending the hens in to the coop.

Thompson's is basically just Paraffin oil (Mineral Oil) in a solvent. Once the solvent "Flashes off" you are left with only the Paraffin Oil. It is for all intents and purposes...inert.

My personal opinion, is that it is not a very good product. You would be better off rubbing the wood down with a block of canning wax, then melting it into the wood with a heat gun.
(Just my 3.933 cents.) Inflation you know.

Waterseal was I thought primarily for masonry

Anyway the email response will be written to protect themselves from it being used against them
Whereas the phone call was probably someone's personal opinion and that is not worth diddly.

Give the stuff a try but I think you will end up using paint or a proper wood preserver.

Back
Top Bottom