Those Of You Who Incubate In An Air Conditioned House.....

Becky, What is the Relative Humidity outside? I don't have much trouble keeping the humidity up in mine during these summer months. I do have problems in the winter. It gets dry here. If you have humidity at 50% or above, I doubt that your air conditioning will dry the air so much that your incubator will not hold with the proper amount of water. Have you tested your hygrometer? Also deformed chicks can be caused by several thing. It is important to really disinfect your incubator well between hatches.

I run a small humidifier in the winter months to help with humidity in the room. Are your chicks haveing a hard time breaking out of the shell? Air circulation can effect the hatch as well. Make sure your vent plug/plugs are out during the last part. I like Bill Mcgee's suggestion on increasing humidity. He spreads a paper towel out and allows on end to be placed in a container of water to act as a wick, It increases the evaporative surface. The most important thing is to check your hygrometer. I am getting ready to start a batch of eggs and I have 4 units. Each one reads differently one is off by 9 % in humidity and there is 4 degrees difference in temp with another one. It makes you crazy.

I can't keep the humidity up either. I had two bowles of water, three sponges wrapped in paper towels and a wrapped up sock, the highest I got was 60%
I feel your pain though I'm sick of not having eggs hatch. i'm using my own eggs till i get the kinks worked out. C

Back
Top Bottom