Those of you who make homemade pizza or bread

Quote:
Someone wants to make sure we all start buying premade bread, thats whats up!!

Back when I was still making bread the modern way, I had noticed that I needed more yeast then recipes called for.
Your not imagining things.

I now refuse to eat my grains prepared the modern fast way. All that Phytic Acid left intact is bad for the teeth and the gut.
I learned how to make old world style sourdough a year ago.
Then I learned I had Celiacs.
I have been reading the studies done in Australia, where Celiacs are doing well on real sourdough, the kind that takes 8 days to make.
So I am going to test myself on Friday night with the batch I have going now.
I have been feeding it for 7 days, and will form the loaves tonight, and place them near the woodstove to rise for a minimum of 12 hours.

That is really interesting, because I suspect I have celiacs, I bake for my family, but I do not eat it. Please keep me informed of how that works for you, because I would LOVE to have a real hamburger with a BUN! or a sandwich not held together with just lettuce. That's the stuff dreams are made from these days.
Thanks for this thread, Frosty. It has been very informative all the way around!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Someone wants to make sure we all start buying premade bread, thats whats up!!

Back when I was still making bread the modern way, I had noticed that I needed more yeast then recipes called for.
Your not imagining things.

I now refuse to eat my grains prepared the modern fast way. All that Phytic Acid left intact is bad for the teeth and the gut.
I learned how to make old world style sourdough a year ago.
Then I learned I had Celiacs.
I have been reading the studies done in Australia, where Celiacs are doing well on real sourdough, the kind that takes 8 days to make.
So I am going to test myself on Friday night with the batch I have going now.
I have been feeding it for 7 days, and will form the loaves tonight, and place them near the woodstove to rise for a minimum of 12 hours.

That is really interesting, because I suspect I have celiacs, I bake for my family, but I do not eat it. Please keep me informed of how that works for you, because I would LOVE to have a real hamburger with a BUN! or a sandwich not held together with just lettuce. That's the stuff dreams are made from these days.
Thanks for this thread, Frosty. It has been very informative all the way around!
big_smile.png

Will do.
Also, if you suspect you have Celiacs, or at the least an intolerance, chances are your children have it as well.
Detectible or not.
I have a neurological reaction to it, rather then an intestinal.

I will start a new thread as too my results and how I made the bread, on Saturday.
If I react to it, it may be more like Monday, LOL!
Such fun experimenting on ones self!

It may not be the yeast at all. It could be the flour. There are so many different kinds out there now, and all of them can have an effect on the end product. If they are using a whole wheat flour and not enough yeast then their bread could come out dense and flat. I wouldn't just only look at the yeast, but the entire ingredient list and get down to specifics of what sort of ingredients and techniques they are using. If they are using all purpose flour they might try adding vital wheat gluten to the recipe. There needs to be a pretty high protein content in the flour used for bread baking. I use fleischman's active dry yeast, and it hasn't failed me yet. Each little package has 2-1/4 teaspoons - I use 1 tablespoon active dry yeast to 3 cups flour. My mom keeps asking if I like her bread and where she should improve - I tell her if she is happy with her bread, then she doesn't need to look for improvement. However, if there is something she wants to change, then study and practice the things that will effect that change. So, maybe just doing a bit more study in the field of bread baking will help them attain their desired result. Best of baking success to your family, hope it all works out!!!
smile.png

You use 1 tablespoon for 3 cups of flour. 1 package (about 2.5 teaspoons) used to be enough for a recipe with 6 cups of flour. She uses all purpose flour and did try buying fresh flour. Now that she has this yeast, 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast does the trick for a basic bread recipe that calls for 6 cups of flour. Just like the packets used to. The only thing they didn't try is doubling the yeast, which appears to be what folks are doing now days. Just seems strange...

Last edited:
The bread that I always make calls for 1 TBSP of yeast to 3 cups of flour for one loaf. I made crusty french rolls last night that called for 1 1/4 tsp of yeast to 3 1/2 cups of flour and they turned out fine. So I really don't know.
hu.gif

ChikeeMomma, I believe in an earlier post you said that you got the big packages from Sams Club? So maybe it isn't who makes the yeast, more who the intended market is. I think the larger packages are intended for bakeries more than home bakers. I looked in some of my 'new' cookbooks (copywrite 1985) and the basic bread recipe does indeed call for 2 packs of yeast for 6 cups of flour. I never noticed that... I use the recipe that I learned when I was a lot younger, it's in a 1956 cookbook and calls for half the amount of yeast (I'm not that old, it's the cookbook that mom got when she graduated).

Sequin, perhaps you should ask your mom why she asks if you like her bread... she may be using an old recipe that calls for half the amount of yeast as the newer recipes. It may not be raising like she thinks it should, so she may want to double the yeast of buy some of the bigger packages and see if it works like she thinks it should.

Now that I think of it, when I got married in the late 80's, I made bread now and then and it never raised much higher than the top of the pan. Even though I had been baking bread since the mid 70's, I thought I had been away from it too long. In the early 90's I started baking bread for a local market and swapped to the Fermipan because it was a lot cheaper (during the market season I go through about 1 pound of yeast a month). My bread raises like it should and I forgot about my earlier batches.

I buy the Fleischmann's Instant Yeast at Sam's Club that others have referred to. Once I open the packages, I store a small jar in the refrigerator and freeze the remainder of the open package, then get it out and refill the small jar as needed. It stores well that way...and of course is a lot cheaper than buying packets or small jars.

I like instant yeast (also called bread machine yeast) because it can be mixed in with the flour and doesn't have to be dissolved in warm liquid and proofed.

Part of the issue here could be that instant yeast is supposed to require 20% less yeast than regular active dry yeast. That said, I'll have to admit that I just measure the amount of yeast called for in recipes, including older ones that were written before instant yeast came on the market. I suppose some things then end up rising faster ...or more.....but it works for me.

This may be helpful...it's a summary of yeast types
Cake (moist) - the traditional live yeast; needs to be dissolved in water

Active dry - the traditional dry yeast; needs to be dissolved usually with a bit of sugar

Instant - contains a bit of yeast enhancer (usually citric acid) and is possibly more concentrated than active dry; does not need to be dissolved

Bread Machine - exactly the same as instant in a different package

Rapid Rise - larger amount of yeast enhancers and other packaging changes to the granules. Does not have to be dissolved. Works very fast and is intended for straight doughs that you want to complete within an hour or so. Generally not used by artisan bakers who seek slower, not faster, rise.

The confusing part is that some manufacturers reverse the meaning of "instant" and "rapid rise", and vary on which they call "bread machine".​

Back
Top Bottom