Those of you with homemade incubators...

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
Do they work as well as the storebought kind? What was your hatching rate? How dependable are they? I know that a lot of factors can play into it, and these are very broad questions, but what has been your experience with homemade bators? I am particularly interested in the outcomes of the ones that are heated using a light bulb and a hot water heater thermostat. Thanks!

Well I'll have to let you know on that one since my new homemade bator is currenty going through a rigorous testing stage but I did build a still air last year and it managed a little less than 50% hatch rate. I decided to start from scratch and build a cabinet forced air bator this year, it has two 60 watt bulbs and a water heater thermostat. As soon as I can get the temp leveled at a constant 99.5 - 100 degrees and 40 - 50 % humidity level I'm going to give it a go. I'm hoping to start a hatch in a few weeks.

I've used both and have had far better experience with my homemade incubator. I have the ability to adjust temp/humid easily when needed. I started off with the small styrofoam incubator and then up'd it to a large cooler. My next project will be converting an end table/night stand into an incubator. I've seen the instructions on here and cant wait to try it out.

Everytime I used my bator I had crazy temp spikes that killed the eggs. Used it 2 times and borrowed a friends and had the same thing happen. Everytime all eggs were lost. Now I understand why my friend never used it.

Good luck with your choice.

I thru a homemade incubator together about a month ago. So far I have hatched 16 out of 17 eggs set. I am really testing it at the moment. I have set 41 eggs with a couple days inbetween sets. I have them in diferrant areas since this incubator can hold 108 eggs.
I used two 100 watt bulbs and a hotwater heater thermostat.
45538_chicken_61.jpg

45538_chicken_71.jpg

Once it is proven I am going to build one with the same ideas but more attractive looking. I am thinking about an Oak Plank cabinet.

Quote:
It seems to me that I remember a while back when the Home-made Incubator contest was running that someone said they were able to get much more accurate control of temperatures with a hot water heater thermostat if they drilled holes in the casing. It made a lot of sense, but I have never since found that post. Would love to re-read it. What did you use for a cabinet B-Rocker?

I am in the process of building one now but I am using a coffe warmer heating element ( 75 w) for my heat source, that and the water heater seemed to have a rather large temp differentional I splurged on a johnson controls t-stat so far testing it I am not getting hardly any temp swing at all I was thinking of using a blow dryer for a heat source I am probally gonna try a few off the wall ideas before I am through LOL I built mine maybe half the size of jc's I have the wood to play with just laying around I found a couple of coolers around here as well might try one of them too . I hav'nt quite finished the door yet I will try to get a few piccys up the next day or so .

Quote:
It seems to me that I remember a while back when the Home-made Incubator contest was running that someone said they were able to get much more accurate control of temperatures with a hot water heater thermostat if they drilled holes in the casing. It made a lot of sense, but I have never since found that post. Would love to re-read it. What did you use for a cabinet B-Rocker?

You need to look up just1jack's page. I actually have a hyperlink to him from my homemade incubator page. i llove my cooler/bator. It works great, holds a steady temp, and all thanks to jack's page about the hole drilling thing.
editited to add just1jack's link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26580-thermostat-modification

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom