Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this.

Some of those remind me of my town... except for all the references to doing naughty stuff.

My town was so small that my mom and dad didn't *need* anyone to tell them if I was up to no good...they would already know. As a result, I kept to the straight-and-narrow.
wink.png

Quote:
Those were the days! I live in a town wtih population less than 1000. My son got suspended last year for carrying his pocket knife to school in his pocket. I might have understood this if he were a trouble maker... but he's a straight A honor student!! When I confronted the prinicipal about it, he stated that the pocket knife was a lethal weapon. I picked up a pencil from his desk and stabbed a notebook with it. "So is this pencil," I said and walked out of the room. (I am sooo bad!)
th.gif

thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
Good for you! My son got in trouble for throwing a pencil in the air on the bus. "If it had hit someone in the eye it could have blinded them" said the Asst Principal to me. Ok Chicken Little, get back to me when that sky falls in!
barnie.gif

Quote:
Those were the days! I live in a town wtih population less than 1000. My son got suspended last year for carrying his pocket knife to school in his pocket. I might have understood this if he were a trouble maker... but he's a straight A honor student!! When I confronted the prinicipal about it, he stated that the pocket knife was a lethal weapon. I picked up a pencil from his desk and stabbed a notebook with it. "So is this pencil," I said and walked out of the room. (I am sooo bad!)
th.gif

Waaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa! That ought to scare him out of his pants!!!! Yes pencils and pens are weapons, so are scissors and broken glass (to break out a window or door pane). Even your backpacks are weapons too!

Oh give me a break, a pocket knife!!!

I hope the principal dropped the charges or suspension. I bet he was shocked and didnt say anything to you when you did your thing!

My brother used to duck hunt before school, he just left the shotgun in his locker. But I lived in an entirely different world....small town Alaska.

I also bought cigarettes for my parents, and I would say I was alot younger than 12.

As a kid I knew where every untended apple tree was, who had unsupervised cherry trees and which dogs would go after you.

I used to fish in something the other kids called "Sewer Crick", it had nice cutthroat trout in it.

We had a car, a pickup and and least two aluminum skiffs.

We never locked our doors, and the keys were in the cars.

Last edited:
Personally I love the small town life (even though I am just outside of town now,) but I have only lived in two cities for a total of 10 years out of my 20 some odd years being out on my own. I love small towns, for when you call the lumber store looking for something, and they guy working there, who knows your name, says he can drop it off on his way home from work; or when you go to the grocery store, check out everything before you realize you forgot your wallet, and the cashier, who knows your name, says, just bring the money in later. Compared to city life--where you walk around anonymously. I liked growing up in a small town where word got back to your parents when you did something wrong, Accountability. Not anonymity.

Quote:
th.gif

OMG I almost fell out of my chair reading that one BWAHAHAHA... I bet he peed his pants! HIGH 5 to Wanda!!!!! Way to go momma!!!!

The town my family lives in has no golf course, no airfield, and only one stop light (until recently). Plus when that one stop light broke, it was out for ages because it is so old they have to mail order the parts special order.

I moved back to my small town after having children. We decided to try our hand in California. Another semi small town of Eureka, Humboldt county for 3 years. In those 3 years, I made a couple of good friends but i never knew what my kids were up to and i hated that. Now we are back in small town USA and i love it.
My neighbor is the principal of the school, I know when my kid decides to take a 30-30 shell to school and they bring it home for me, My PO drops my eggs off on his run to save me a trip into town, my inlaws are across the farm, my dad lives across the bay and i can see his light on with bionoculars, there are deer in my backyard and apple trees across the road! I love it here!!!!

Though I always hated it when i was younger...I never got away with anything! My parents knew what i did before I got home from doing it!

Its great being the parent now!!!

Now I have to tell you that is so true about being two years behind the trend.
I went to school in Liverpool,NY. While everyone wanted to be wild I expect they had their limits. I once tried to dye a pair of pants red and they came out pink. No one would have worn a "Tom Jones" shirt. I had one that was school bus yellow w/ red polka dots. I'll never forget the ribbing I took for that one. Elaine Matthews called it a clown shirt. She was ugly so I didn't care. I had a Nehru shirt. Liverpudlians were so square, I couldn't wait to get away. Now I love small towns.

I figure there aren't to many on this site who have a clue what I'm talking about. I may be old but I'm still cool.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom