Those who use an "All Flock" feed, PLEASE help me decide on a feed!

Pics

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I know there are tons out there right now, but I *think* based on what I've read here so far I've narrowed it down to the following brands: Nutrina, Purina, Kalmbach and Scratch and Peck (but I am open to others).

I'm currently feeding Scratch and Peck Organic Starter Crumbles + Grub Protein (20.5% protein). It's quite expensive; I pay roughly $50 for a 25lb bag delivered and my flock goes through 50lbs a week (so roughly $100/week on feed). I haven't looked at the prices of the others, but I can't imagine them being nearly as expensive.

Other things to note:
*ages range from about 8-14 weeks right now, both pullets and cockerels.
*they free range
*I do not breed or show right now, but plan to in the future. Right now they're kind of my "pets". My daughter may want to participate in 4H.
*I am a creature of habit. I like to pick something and stick with it, if possible.
*I do not plan to use my birds for meat, just eggs at this time.
*I prefer having my feed delivered, though not entirely essential; I usually have an infant and 2 toddlers under 5 with me, so loading up bags of feed with them into my car sucks. Yes, you think people would be courteous and offer to help, but here in the bay area that has not been my experience.

Here's what I've looked at so far. PLEASE help me make a decision, or I will think about this for another month. Organic isn't essential. I just want a high quality food that I can feed to everyone. I've read that many recommend keeping mixed flocks on starter feed with sides of grit and calcium as well.

• Nutrina NatureWise All Flock 20% Crumble Poultry Feed
  • Nutrina NatureWise Feather Fixer 18% Poultry Feed (I read a lot of good things about this one; not sure if it's a good "all flock" feed)

• Purina® Flock Raiser® Crumbles (20% protein)

• Purina® Organic Starter-Grower (18% protein)

• Kalmbach 20% Organic Chick and Meatbird Starter Grower (Crumble)

• Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker® (Crumble)
  • Continue with current Scratch and Peck food.
  • Any other recommendations?
In addition to a feed, which brands of grit and calcium do you feed? I've been using scratch and peck for everything, but willing to try others. I don't really need oyster shell right now, but want to be prepared. What grit does everyone use? Quality is just really important to me and since I haven't had as much time to do research since having my third baby, I sort of defaulted to Scratch and Peck.

Assuming "Organic" Isn't hugely important to you, the Purina Flock Raiser is the most cost effective in that list, and marginally better nutrition than many.

"Feather Fixer" is a higher protein Layer formulation - its calclcuim content is too high to use as an all flock.

I've used Nutrina NatureWise without complaint. Locally, its more expensive than the Purina (smaller bag - 40#, not 50#), and its nutrition while certainly more than adequate, isn't quite as good

I like Purina flock raiser, I’ve had very good results with it. That being said, my flock currently gets Kalmbach and they’re all doing really well on it also. Purina is available at our TSC but not always the flock raiser. So I switched to Kalmbach and have it on auto ship with Chewy.

I have fed Nutrena but feel my birds are healthier with Purina or Kalmbach. They seem to recoup from molting faster in general even though the protein content is similar to Nutrena.

I use Nutrena All Flock and my birds love it. You don't need to use
grit with any kind of pellet or crumble. All Flock is a mini sized pellet
and much easier to adapt from crumble. You can buy it at TS and they'll load it in your car for you. Current price is about $24/40lb. bag. They also have Manna Pro oyster shell around $16/50 lb. bag.

I know there are tons out there right now, but I *think* based on what I've read here so far I've narrowed it down to the following brands: Nutrina, Purina, Kalmbach and Scratch and Peck (but I am open to others).

I'm currently feeding Scratch and Peck Organic Starter Crumbles + Grub Protein (20.5% protein). It's quite expensive; I pay roughly $50 for a 25lb bag delivered and my flock goes through 50lbs a week (so roughly $100/week on feed). I haven't looked at the prices of the others, but I can't imagine them being nearly as expensive.

Other things to note:
*ages range from about 8-14 weeks right now, both pullets and cockerels.
*they free range
*I do not breed or show right now, but plan to in the future. Right now they're kind of my "pets". My daughter may want to participate in 4H.
*I am a creature of habit. I like to pick something and stick with it, if possible.
*I do not plan to use my birds for meat, just eggs at this time.
*I prefer having my feed delivered, though not entirely essential; I usually have an infant and 2 toddlers under 5 with me, so loading up bags of feed with them into my car sucks. Yes, you think people would be courteous and offer to help, but here in the bay area that has not been my experience.

Here's what I've looked at so far. PLEASE help me make a decision, or I will think about this for another month. Organic isn't essential. I just want a high quality food that I can feed to everyone. I've read that many recommend keeping mixed flocks on starter feed with sides of grit and calcium as well.

• Nutrina NatureWise All Flock 20% Crumble Poultry Feed
  • Nutrina NatureWise Feather Fixer 18% Poultry Feed (I read a lot of good things about this one; not sure if it's a good "all flock" feed)

• Purina® Flock Raiser® Crumbles (20% protein)

• Purina® Organic Starter-Grower (18% protein)

• Kalmbach 20% Organic Chick and Meatbird Starter Grower (Crumble)

• Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker® (Crumble)
  • Continue with current Scratch and Peck food.
  • Any other recommendations?
In addition to a feed, which brands of grit and calcium do you feed? I've been using scratch and peck for everything, but willing to try others. I don't really need oyster shell right now, but want to be prepared. What grit does everyone use? Quality is just really important to me and since I haven't had as much time to do research since having my third baby, I sort of defaulted to Scratch and Peck.
I feed DuMOR all flock, 50 lbs., made by Purina, sold at Tractor Supply. I like that the pellets are skinnier in this feed, because my chickens eat it all up instead of leaving behind large pieces they don't want. I grind up a bunch of their egg shells and feed it back to them with the feed. I also add an Omega/Vit E supplement I use for my horses. It's an oil. I just sprinkle drops of the oil on, swirl the food around, and pour on the ground shell. The powdery calcium sticks to the oil on the pellets.

I had no idea Kalmbach was available in California. Kalmbach Flock maker is $3.50 cheaper than Purina Flock Raiser here & I like it better. It souynds like you order on line & therefore everything will be super expensive. Here Purina Fr is $25.50, Kalmbach is $22.19 & Nutrena is $23.00 for only 40 lbs.

I've been using Purina Flock Raiser (crumble) and am very happy with it! I also have young children and have it delivered from TSC. My chickens are healthy and doing great. I use it with chicks, too, after they finish their first bag of medicated starter (also Purina). Medicated starter and flock raiser is the only feeds I use. I've never used layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom