Those who use an "All Flock" feed, PLEASE help me decide on a feed!

If they are laying you can put a bowl of wet-mash or pellets near the nests, ideally on the path out of the nest post laying, that is the most hungry a hen gets.

Don't wet more than can be consumed quickly as (especially in summer) the taste turns sour and they will turn their noses up at it.

I agree small bags are ridiculous. Here a small bag is 8lbs and costs more than twice the 50lbs bag's price. Because it is so crazy the bags are stale dated.

What we should be doing is buying the big bags and splitting them with other hen-keepers nearby.

I know there are tons out there right now, but I *think* based on what I've read here so far I've narrowed it down to the following brands: Nutrina, Purina, Kalmbach and Scratch and Peck (but I am open to others).

I'm currently feeding Scratch and Peck Organic Starter Crumbles + Grub Protein (20.5% protein). It's quite expensive; I pay roughly $50 for a 25lb bag delivered and my flock goes through 50lbs a week (so roughly $100/week on feed). I haven't looked at the prices of the others, but I can't imagine them being nearly as expensive.

Other things to note:
*ages range from about 8-14 weeks right now, both pullets and cockerels.
*they free range
*I do not breed or show right now, but plan to in the future. Right now they're kind of my "pets". My daughter may want to participate in 4H.
*I am a creature of habit. I like to pick something and stick with it, if possible.
*I do not plan to use my birds for meat, just eggs at this time.
*I prefer having my feed delivered, though not entirely essential; I usually have an infant and 2 toddlers under 5 with me, so loading up bags of feed with them into my car sucks. Yes, you think people would be courteous and offer to help, but here in the bay area that has not been my experience.

Here's what I've looked at so far. PLEASE help me make a decision, or I will think about this for another month. Organic isn't essential. I just want a high quality food that I can feed to everyone. I've read that many recommend keeping mixed flocks on starter feed with sides of grit and calcium as well.

• Nutrina NatureWise All Flock 20% Crumble Poultry Feed
  • Nutrina NatureWise Feather Fixer 18% Poultry Feed (I read a lot of good things about this one; not sure if it's a good "all flock" feed)

• Purina® Flock Raiser® Crumbles (20% protein)

• Purina® Organic Starter-Grower (18% protein)

• Kalmbach 20% Organic Chick and Meatbird Starter Grower (Crumble)

• Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker® (Crumble)
  • Continue with current Scratch and Peck food.
  • Any other recommendations?
In addition to a feed, which brands of grit and calcium do you feed? I've been using scratch and peck for everything, but willing to try others. I don't really need oyster shell right now, but want to be prepared. What grit does everyone use? Quality is just really important to me and since I haven't had as much time to do research since having my third baby, I sort of defaulted to Scratch and Peck.
I have been using Nutrena Naturewise All Flock pellets and crumbles ( i mix a bag of each ) anyway, i have raised a bunch of chicks hatched here, hatchery chicks from Meyers and my original flock from TSC i have all ages,roosters, layers,1 lone american game etc. And my birds look amazing, lay beautifully. I free choice two types of grit and oyster shell.

I pay between 21.99-23.95 per 40lb bag/50lb bag

Goodness - I have never seen these small expensive bags!
I have had a test batch in the freezer for two days. I will pull it out later today and report on whether freezing works.
Because of my unfortunate hoarding habits it turns out I can store at least 30lb (maybe 40lb) of a 50lb bag in batches of 6-10lb each (depending on the container). I have turned on the ancient chest freezer in the basement which is only used when there is an absurdly abundant harvest from the garden and I go a bit freezer crazy. So, if freezing works, I can definitely freeze the bulk of the 50lb bag and use it as it is needed.
More later today on the freezing front.

Just reporting back on the freezing experiment. The goal of the experiment was to see if by using air-tight containers I could freeze the feed without getting it damp and risking mold.
Success!
I took it out of the freezer and of course with this humidity it immediately became covered in condensation. I did not open the container but let it sit on the kitchen counter overnight.
Nice and dry this morning and on opening it up the food is completely dry.
I know that freezing will extend the useful life of the nutrients including vitamin B (there are several studies on this) so I am going to carry all the packages I made down to the basement into the old chest freezer. Hoping it still works!
I think my storage in a metal trash can with a tight fitting lid that is inside the Chicken Palace will be perfectly adequate in the winter, but for July and August I think it would be better that I deploy the freezer solution. Particularly if I only have 3-4 months to use up the feed.
Incidentally Kalmbach say to use it within 6 months - but of course that doesn't account for storage temperature.

Last edited:
Somehow my chickens always have the last laugh.
Having got a new bag of feed that was already 2 months old, having got in a panic about not being able to use it up before it was too much more than three months old, having done a freezer test, having decanted 50 pounds of feed into Tupperware containers, having gone down to the basement to fire up the old chest freezer, having carried 30 pounds worth of feed in Tupperware containers down to the basement, my Princesses have decided to double down on their commercial feed consumption. This, even though it is summer and they are foraging for most of the day and on most days.
At the rate they are eating now they will finish the bag when it is about three and a half months old.
I have resolved to be more disciplined about keeping records of how much they consume, but I am sure they are eating this much faster than the last bag.
I wonder if it tastes better when it is fresher.

Somehow my chickens always have the last laugh.
Having got a new bag of feed that was already 2 months old, having got in a panic about not being able to use it up before it was too much more than three months old, having done a freezer test, having decanted 50 pounds of feed into Tupperware containers, having gone down to the basement to fire up the old chest freezer, having carried 30 pounds worth of feed in Tupperware containers down to the basement, my Princesses have decided to double down on their commercial feed consumption. This, even though it is summer and they are foraging for most of the day and on most days.
At the rate they are eating now they will finish the bag when it is about three and a half months old.
I have resolved to be more disciplined about keeping records of how much they consume, but I am sure they are eating this much faster than the last bag.
I wonder if it tastes better when it is fresher.
My chickens are always much slower to eat the end of the bag.
In the additives of every milled layer feed here, even organic, there are digestibility improvers and appetizing aromas. Not sure how to translate it but you get the idea. They probably lose potency with time.

Is there an All Flock Layer feed by Kalmbach? I can only find a starter and one to use after they are past their laying years. Need the in between. We have chickens, ducks, and geese.

Hi :welcome

All flock and layer would be exclusive of each other.
Thanks for the info! So I would need separate breed specific feeds for them? They all free range during the day together (but are housed separately overnight) the ducks are laying and the chickens will be old enough to soon. Was hoping to switch them all to Kalmbach after reading about it on this site and other reviews.

Back
Top Bottom