Those who use an "All Flock" feed, PLEASE help me decide on a feed!

I think I will give the Kalmbach a try.

I have never thought to look for a mill date on feed bags, but I will now!! Where do you typically find it on the bag?

Usually on the bottom bag seal or the nutrition tag.
Here's a picture of where Kalmbach puts the mill date.
IMG_3127.JPG

The "22269" is the mill date. It means the 269th day of '22.

Thank you!
Mine is a small flock of absurdly spoiled pets - so the cost differential is less of an issue for me than the health and enjoyment of my flock. Also, I suspect the different wastage from pellets vs crumble will be similar to the increase in cost of the pellet feed!
What you say about the improvements in health being very small is interesting.
I think I will give the Kalmbach a try.
Please let us know how it works out for you, that's how the community grows its experience!

In theory, pellets may save as much as 10% v crumble, but the way you feed (dry v wet mash v ferment) and the style of feeder used are also big influences. Current prices being what they are, I doubt there is a 10% differential on otherwise identical feeds, one pelleted, one not. Locally, the difference is $1-2/50#

I find the crumbles get spilled more, but your mileage may vary.
Yes, pellet or similar "textured" foods get pecked when they spill the bowl, but crumble gets wasted. BUT I have chipmunks and squirrels that steal food, and crumbles are hard to steal :) Add water to crumble, you have mash and the rodents can't steal it.

You will try some, then find your favorite too. Then... Once you have a very favorite kind... Your local store will start to have issues keeping it in stock. :he so learn the level of protein & calcium you love by reading the label..
In a pinch you'll be able to find a "this will do" purchase.

The Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker pellets arrived today.
Here is what I found on the bag.
I think that means it was milled on January 27 of this year which is pretty good isn’t it?
There were other numbers on the bag itself which had a 22 to start with but I am thinking (hoping) that means something else.
Hope they like it!

46DA4409-80D8-4750-90F5-1A645C93FAE2.jpeg
48376857-7198-4E3A-86E0-62B2395E60A2.jpeg

The Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker pellets arrived today.
Here is what I found on the bag.
I think that means it was milled on January 27 of this year which is pretty good isn’t it?
There were other numbers on the bag itself which had a 22 to start with but I am thinking (hoping) that means something else.
Hope they like it!

View attachment 3400164View attachment 3400165
That is correct. That bag was milled on the 27th of January this year which is beyond good when it comes to poultry feed being fresh. Usually anything milled within 3 months of receiving your feed is considered to be fresh.

That is correct. That bag was milled on the 27th of January this year which is beyond good when it comes to poultry feed being fresh. Usually anything milled within 3 months of receiving your feed is considered to be fresh.
Great. Thank you. Now fingers crossed my spoiled brats take to it!

Back
Top Bottom