Those with pigeons how is your....

Poison Ivy

Crowing
16 Years
May 2, 2007
Naples, Florida
Pens set up and do you have pictures you could post. I bought a pair of Trumpeter Pigeons today. I guess they maybe some kind of splash still trying to find some more infomation on them. Any websites that you could recommend would be great too.

Most people keep pigons in lofts rather then in pens.
Trumpeters are show birds, not raised for flight, so they dont need alot of room to fly.

My lofts are 6 feet wide, 8 feet long and 6 feet tall. I have 2 waterers and 2 feeders in each loft. I have twice as many perches as I do birds. I tend to keep 12 birds in it and I left them out to fly daily(if weather permits)
Pigeons are grain eaters.Most feed stores stock an adequate mix for them, it needs to be between 12% and 17% protein.
Protein percentages higher than that for long periods of time often lead to gout or other problems for the birds. Pigeons also need a mineral grit mixture (chicken grit is not suitable for pigeons).

The most important requirement as to pigeon housing is that the interior always be kept dry. Dampness brings disease.

Do you know what kind of Trumpeter they are?

I made a post with pics in the Other Birds, Poultry, Fowl
section. It has some pics of my birds and the loft. the thread is called, Pics of my utility pigeons (texas pioners).

Like marebear07 said the most important thing is to keep there loft dry. Including the floor. I feed four diferent kinds of feed. Each grain has a seporate ben and the birds eat the kind of grain they want/need.

SO check out my thread and let me know if you have any more questions. Im no expert myself, but I can try to help.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom