Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends!

The last two weeks have been a tough time here, starting with the arrival of three house-guests on 7/25.

What came next will be forever remembered as the great duckling flood of 2022:

Two days later, on the 27th ten cute little ducklings were delivered by the US Postal Service:
Sadly one of the Buff Orpington ducklings was very weak when she arrived here and died later on that day. 😞

Just one day later, Pinball Duck hatched out three additional ducklings…

Fortunately (wild) Missus Mallard's six ducklings are almost grown up by now, below is a video of them from the mid of July:

I have no idea weather they will leave for the winter or they will stay close to the cracked corn source…

Finally, tomorrow (August 10th) three additional ducklings will arrive here, a replacement for the Buff Orpington duckling who didn't made it an her two mystery buddy-ducklings.

This morning the ducknagers woke me up shortly after sunrise: They knocked at the patio-door, demanding their breakfast - after using the patio floor as their toilet. They can jump in and out of their kiddie-pool brooder as they like. Hopefully they will befriend with the Puddle-Ducks (Blanca, Erpelchen, Pompom, Pinball Rusty and Violeta) soon and run into the duck-house with them in the evening.

Exciting day today!

First the ducknagers, the ducks and i had to fight off a terrible monster
20220809_184833.jpg

-storm. We all stood on the pasture, quacked and whistled as loud as we could and fortunately that big storm went the other way.
The ducknagers enjoyed their time outside until darkness and because their humon servant was busy cooking soup with green beans they decided to use the ducknager ramp that i had installed in the afternoon and came right back on to the patio.
20220809_203720.jpg
There they waited patiently for me to give them a lift into their nest, where they had supper (pellets and cucumber bits) and now they are sleeping peacefully

Until tomorrow, when the next three ducklings will arrive!

Will keep you updated…

Btw that's what's the soup with green beans looks like:
20220809_210451.jpg

Wow, that is so awesome (about your garden, not the dizzy spell!) I would like to be that self-sufficient around here, but am far from it!
I am far away of being self sufficient, i just like to grow my own vegetables, not to be self sufficient, i just like to see them growing. And harvesting my own stuff gives me a weird feeling of satisfaction. And the beans yesterday tasted so much better than the ones bought in a store. I remembered me coming back from school, mom had cooked green-bean soup… same taste as yesterday.

Then i drove to the Post Office and got stuck in traffic! One of the DOTs dump trucks got stuck in the ditch that they are currently cleaning out for the winter (yes, DOT does that during the high-summer here!) - so it took me over 90 minutes for a drive that usually takes between 15 and 20 minutes.
Anyways, »replacement duck« and her two buddies are okay and here is the first video of that gang:

Can you guess what breed the mystery ducklings are?

Back
Top Bottom