Though y'all might like this. Heritage Chicken Breeds’ Various Values.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. They are not pasture raised in the sense they can't be grass fed as there really isn't grass available to them, at least none that can be discerned from the photos.

How are turkeys raised commercially? Are they raised in buildings like chickens? Are commercially raised free-range turkeys raised in massive buildings just on the floor vs a cage with a high window or two? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. If so, then the set-up in the photos has to be a considerable step-up. As a native Kansan, let me just say it's hard to keep out all our vegetation and bugs, impossible really. For all we know, the farmers in the photos periodically mow down new areas. It kind-of looked like that in one of the videos. Meandering trails and mobile housing.

I don't know and have never met any of the others in the operation, but my understanding is that they are a collection of a few poultry farmers and fanciers who are working together to preserve certain breeds and to keep from getting swallowed up or put under by larger commercial interests. Not such a bad goal I wouldn't think.

It seemed pretty clear that if they perceive anyone as an enemy or competition it would be say Tyson (the chart was their birds vs store bought after all) and you or Polyface would fall into the ally category.

Last edited:
Chickens and turkeys are raised similar. Their beaks however are trimmed... snoods removed... and some toes cut off. Turkeys are ruthless killers, even to each other if they get the chance.

Not knockin' what they do, because it's definitely better than commercial but I do think some things don't add up. I question quite a bit but that's just me. Either way I know I well get a consumer that wants a heritage breed because they seen in Mother Earth News that Heritage are nutritionally more dense. When in reality they are not.... when compared to a CX on pasture. I don't know.... they seem like good people though and have heard nothing but good from their operation. Just my own skeptic opinion....

lol, your opinion echos mine, you just state it better
smile.png

Wow, really. I didn't know that about turkeys. I am starting to think of the CX as ruthless killers should I get between them and their food though.
lol.png
I worry over my fingers every time I go out to tend them.

The article was a mess, no dispute there. I agree on pasture raised regardless of breed being better, but the only bias or spin I saw/read came from the article, not the mentioned subjects. So the critique of the subjects seemed a bit unfair. Especially when I view you all as being on the same side. Regardless, I think the pasture raised better/factory farm worse is the only thing the bulk of people will take away from that article. Really. most don't care to think too deep about anything.

Some things are in the eye of the beholder. Look at free-ranged, cage free. My property is fenced 4' high around the perimeter and other than the tractored birds, the rest could leave if they really wanted to. They don't usually, but they could. If I decided to sell any eggs would they truly be free ranged/cage free. I'd be willing to bet they are more so vs the free range/cage free ones at the grocery store, but some could argue no because of my fence.
hu.gif
My CX are currently in a tractor in my yard. I've got no idea what to say they are.
hmm.png
Guess it's good I'm not planning to sell them.

I've never seen any of the farms within their group. Had never even heard of them prior to meeting the one guy at the poultry clinic. They may all have differing set-ups, don't know. The one we met used to allow visitors from what he said, but have now shut most everything off. They had some devastating losses requiring total or nearly that termination. Since they have some rare breeds and are part of conservancy efforts they can't leave things so open anymore. He said they were doing a separate area/barns for smaller groups of the different breeds so visitors would still be able to see them, but should they need to terminate entire flocks again, the main flocks should hopefully be better protected.

Had anyone asked I'd have said "Huh, didn't even know they had chickens." as turkeys seem to be their main interest. Both the guy we met and Frank Reese appear to be long time involved in the APA and have several Grand Master Exhibitors titles. That explains the heritage emphasis to me.

I'm just sitting here thinking how cool it would be to be able to use grass as a fence! But then, I'd buy another horse, or a nice Jersey or Brown Swiss milk cow, and there'd go my fence, turkeys everywhere
ep.gif

I can picture the movie now "Attack of the Killer Turkeys!"

Kind-of glad now the only live ones I ever see are in show cages.
hide.gif

I do have a place that grows up crazy like that. Too many 2-legged predators there though.
somad.gif

Hi, New to this forum. I keep a mixed flock of 18 hens/pullets and have raised Cornish Cross and Freedom Rangers for meat. Also had some layer ducks last year.

Just wandering what folks think of this article: http://www.drsharma.ca/do-non-exercising-chicken-promote-obesity-in-humans.html
Seems like it's claiming that there is a difference in nutritional value of modern hybrid meat birds and older breeds, but it alludes to "husbandry methods," too.

Back
Top Bottom