Thought I bought Cochins - Are they Brahmas, or what?

Looks like a Lt Brahma chick to me. I've had two of them, both from Ideal. The smut clears from the wings as they mature, just like Delawares go through several "color stages" before they get their beautiful adult plumage.

Woot you got light brahmas. They are nice I miss mine. This was my Lilly at about the same age...she was from a hatchery also either cackle or ideal not sure which for sure.

A good pic of her head:

HPIM2420Small.jpg

Her wings:

HPIM2363Small.jpg

Yes that coloring goes away and you get this:

HPIM3386_editedSmall.jpg

LOL

EDIT: Lilly was my only feather footed at the time so the other 5 girls decided to get those things off her. She never did grow them.

Last edited:
I gotta agree - they look like LB's to me - I just hatched 8 and they look exactly like your chicks - their wing feathers are just starting to come in and look just like those
yippiechickie.gif

Yipee! So happy to have positive confirmation. Light Brahmas they are then. I wanted Cochins because I have Cochins already, but last Spring I when I bought them, I actually had wanted Light Brahmas as my first choice. Funny how I ended up with them after all!

Woot you got light brahmas. They are nice I miss mine. This was my Lilly at about the same age...she was from a hatchery also either cackle or ideal not sure which for sure.

Oh, she was so pretty, and obviously loved. So sorry you lost her.​

Yeah she was awesome. She learned to growl from the dog so she would grrrrr at you. She had a heart infection from birth and finally died of heart failure at 8 months old.
sad.png

Last edited:
I bought brahmas and cochins at the same time as day olds and the brahmas had comparatively little feathering on the feet...the cochins barely showed any skin on their feet at all. They look like light or buff brahmas.

Thanks. My Brahmas are now teenagers and looking gorgeous. I call them my puppy chickens because they follow me around like little puppies when I'm out in the pen with them.

But I agree, they look like Brahmas. I don't have an older chick pic but I have to agree with everyone else, your cute chick looks brahma like.

If it is you'll enjoy it. They're huge chickens but sweet as could be. And the feathering is one of the softest I've found. I cannot wait to see the eggs they lay.

Tuffoldhen, how large are their eggs compared to say a BO?

Julie

Back
Top Bottom