Thought I had Indian Runner ducklings but I am not sure. (Question Answered March 13, 2013)

I found out yesterday morning that the black ducklings in question are Indian Runners.
Thank you everyone for your replies.
smile.png
I took them out in the chicken yard yesterday morning to stretch out and start getting them used to my year old hens. They were very tenative at first. Then one of my Ladies walked out and they chased her around for a few seconds. They stood straight up like a bowling pin and took off after her.
tongue.png
My Perkins would act as flock leader to these hens and lead them around and chase the dogs away from the chicken feed. For some reason, they like the taste of chicken feed.

When the ducklings came running back to me they were as straight up as could be. It was neat and cute to watch. They will get a longer outing after sunrise today when things are warm enough for them to be out for a little bit. I know they will grow quicker than the chicks. So I want start letting the other 4 adult hens I have get to know them and visa versa. I will continue to post pictures at various stages of their growth here until they are fully feathered. That way if anyone else has a similar question later they can see the pictures and hopefully they will be helpful.

These photos were taken a few days ago after I found homes for some of my chicks and two of the other ducklings. The ducklings like sitting by the water more than they seem to like going in it.

Their first swimming moments. The black and yellow stripped ducklings have a great home with a friend of mine now. The black duckling in the tote is the bigger of the two.

Adorable :love I've been avoiding my local feed store because I know if I walk in, I'll walk out with more ducks than I previously had.

I understand
tongue.png
That is how I got mine. I came home with 4 ducklings after I just hatched 10 chickens. Which wouldn't have been a problem if we had the space for that many and could afford the feed. We had a family discussion on what we could afford to keep and how many I needed to find homes for. It all turned out well though because a friend of mine her incubator skitzed out on her. She lost 150-200 eggs. I gave her some of my chicks and 2 of the ducks. So now I just have my 4 adult hens, 3 baby chicks and those 2 ducklings. After I finish up my coffee I get to take the duckies out in the chicken yard with the Ladies.
smile.png
I am going to take pictures and post them.

Hey there. I also bought what I thought to be Indian Runners. They look just like your's does as ducklings. However mine turned out to actually be a cayuga runner mix! Apparently that happen's more than I thought!
barnie.gif

I'll be darned. I hadn't even thought of that. They very well could be a mix. I'm going to have to try and get a hold of the person who handles the chick days at Tractor Supply. Last time I called that person wasn't there.

look like Runners to me! so cute.. enjoying that nice warm weather, so jealous.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom