Thought I was getting pure White Rocks....but???

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
I just picked up 5 White Rock Chickens (1 Roo, 4 Hens) they are about 1-1 1/2 yrs old I was told. Only paid $20 for them which I though was a great deal for pure white rocks. Well I got them home, untaped the boxes and put them in their temporary coop. 1 hen forced herself out of the box before I could open it all the way. She runs fast and I can't catch her for the life of me. Anyways, they are beautiful birds and HUGE! Way bigger than my Buff Orps. So I look at them and notice that a couple of them have feathered feet......AND scaly leg mites?? Does anybody know what they are mixed with because the guys I got them from seem to think they are not mixed with anything and are pure?!?! Normally I would've inspected each chicken but things didn't go so well today. First we ended up having to meet at a 'mall' parking lot, then I had to bring my 2 boys with me (2 & 10 months old, and was supposed to stay with grama). They screamed and cried the whole way up (45 min) so when we got there, I just said throw em in the car....thanks! So any suggestions as to what they are? And what the HECK is on this roos foot? I posted something about his foot in the emergencies, etc. section but got no responses. They are not very friendly birds either, they are very scary and mean
barnie.gif

Sorry, forgot pics!
26155_dscf3213.jpg

26155_dscf3211.jpg

26155_dscf3215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite possible they have White Cochin in the line somewhere. Seems to me the roo has the makings of a "cushion". I can't see the hens butt but if it looks puffy it's likely I'm right. Sorry some people have no conscience.
sorry maybe you can sell them to someone who doesn't care and get your money back.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I thought Cochin at first but, The leg color of the rooster is White. You wouldn't/ shouldn't get that from a breeding that both parents have Yellow legs.
Now if the one of the parents had Yellow (a White Rock) and the other had Blue/Slate (a Langshan) then the leg color of the of the offspring could come Green, Yellow, White or Blue (If one of the parent leg color wasn't pure)
I also see a high arch in the tail of the rooster much like a Langshang.
And that would be why I say Langshan.

Chris

Last edited:
They look too upright to be White Rocks....White Langshans looks pretty good to me. If I remember right, their legs are white or pink, not yellow.

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I also think they are prettier than pure White Rocks, but I am trying a new project and I need pure White Rocks for it. I don't know what would happen if I used these guys?
idunno.gif

I swear the roo looks like he weighs 20 pounds and one of his girls is a little bigger than him! Huge, huge birds!

I just looked up the Langshan chicken and it does look very similiar to these. Maybe they don't have Rock in them at all? or a mix, who knows. Langshan also has feathered feet from some of the pics I saw.

Quote:
They are a mix (not pure). A White Langshan would have Slate Blue legs and your rooster has Whitish Pink legs and your hen looks to have Yellow legs..
I think that they are a Rock/ Langshan cross..

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom