Thought she was Welsummer, but lays white eggs -- anyone have a clue?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by citychickengirls, Sep 20, 2008.

1. citychickengirls

citychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Altadena, CA USA
    Hi -- Please have a look at this hen. I thought she was a Welsummer, but she lays white eggs. Anyone have a guess at the breed? Just curious to know.

(1 hour later.....) Now I'm wondering if she is a game hen? We had a mean/bad rooster (her brother) that almost killed her sister. I'm still reading, but getting confused on game hens vs. standard hens.

We just got 4 new hens (3 weeks old) that are separated for now, but we want to integrate them with the other 2 hens when they're big enough. The 4 new babies are 2 EEs and 2 Brahmas. Is this going to be a problem down the road? argh. :-/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    She has white ear lobes a welsummer has red. Not sure what she is, but here is a pick of a welsummer from Meyer hatchery.
    [​IMG]

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    It is an American Game Fowl. I am not very familiar with all the varieties, but here in Kentucky a lot of people breed them to fight (the roosters).

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

As soon as I seen it I said game fowl. Looks like I am not the only one who thinks it. She is pretty. I say shes a keeper anyways. [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    American Gamefowl. [​IMG]

6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's a American game hen, and you have got yourself a momma deluxe. She's a keeper.

7. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Yep, a nice looking American Game hen... black breasted red variety. You now have you the best incubator/brooder going and it needs no electricity to operate!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. citychickengirls

citychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Altadena, CA USA
    sounds unanimous -- game hen. Ok.

So, what do you folks say about us incorporating the 4 new hens we've got growing now: 2 EEs and 2 Brahmas. Do you think the 2 game hens we have will accept them once they're big enough to share the coop/yard?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  9. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    We have game hens running the yard with EEs, RIRs, Brahmas, cubalayas, thais, aseels, malays....and they are doing just fine.... Once they establish their pecking order, they will be ok, just be sure and give them enough room and pull any game hens out if they get broody cause they can be quite protective of their nest/chicks towards other hens. Good luck with your girls and happy hatching...

[​IMG]

Buff brahma X game hens (yard mutts) that came outta the brush...[​IMG]

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    american gamefowl, looks like of the "Round head" Variety, which is usually the color of your hen. with white legs, and Pea comb. she may even have some White hackle in her.. Which is a red chicken (that resembles round heads). but instead is 98% of the time.. Straight comb. with yellow or white legs. i have a few Roundhead/white hackle crosses running around on the yard.. a rooster 5-10 hens that look just like yours.

-Daniel

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by