Thoughts appreciated — chickens not laying

My chickens are doing the same thing! I have locked them in the coop/ run for days to make sure they aren’t laying elsewhere. I am thinking my issue is stress from the chicks that were added to the coop weeks ago, and am just hoping they get over it eventually cuz the chicks aren’t going anywhere any time soon. I’m crossing my fingers today since I got 5 eggs yesterday instead of the 1-3 I have been getting lately (I have 12 layers)

Thank you! This is really helpful. I didn’t know that about the “powder” part of their feed, which is what is always left behind — so they’re definitely picking out the “candy”. Will try occasionally giving only meats/fish as treats and see if that helps. Appreciate it!
I don't dislike a feed like scratch and peck. I used to feed an organic feed very similar to it by 'Nature's Grown'. It is just that I'm cognizant of what is left behind. the only way I would feed it is in fermented form. By wetting the feed, the goodies are bound up in the mass and that dramatically improves nutrition because with every bite, they are getting all the vitamins, minerals and all the other nutrients added to the grains.

I really can’t find anywhere that they’re hiding nests.
That's why......
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I don't dislike a feed like scratch and peck. I used to feed an organic feed very similar to it by 'Nature's Grown'. It is just that I'm cognizant of what is left behind. the only way I would feed it is in fermented form. By wetting the feed, the goodies are bound up in the mass and that dramatically improves nutrition because with every bite, they are getting all the vitamins, minerals and all the other nutrients added to the grains.
I've heard about fermenting, I'll definitely give that a try, thank you!

That's why......
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Thanks! We have been trying to leave them in the run longer in the mornings -- I'd love for them to be back on more of a schedule again -- we never know what time of day one of them decides to mosey back to the coop and lay!

I unfortunately don't have any suggestions, but want to follow this feed as we, too, have a 1 yr 2 mo old Ameraucana hen that laid about a half dozen eggs last fall and has not laid since. I thought that she had shut down for the season, but despite being a month away from the solstice, the longer days don't seem to have helped. Also free range in the yard (no alpacas, though that would be cool). We have two other hens that lay regularly--a buff orpington we got with the Ameraucana and a white rock, plus an 8-yr old Araucana that is living out her post-menopausal retirement with us. I just don't understand why the young one won't lay. We've also combed the yard inch by inch for a hidden nest and found nothing.

I just don't understand why the young one won't lay.
Some birds are just duds, but.....

We've also combed the yard inch by inch for a hidden nest and found nothing.
Time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....

Back
Top Bottom