Thoughts appreciated — chickens not laying

Jaitimer

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2019
Hello! Our 8 chickens will be a year old end of July. Been outside in coop full time since last fall and started laying in December. For a few months were averaging 4-5 eggs a day (even through winter)...now only 1-2. Here is what I can tell you:
  • they’re free range most of the day
  • no evidence of parasites, etc as far as I can tell — they seem really healthy
  • they’re fed organic layer feed and offered free choice oyster shell/grit
  • we brought 4 rescue alpacas home in March who’d previously pastured with chickens, they all seem to coexist well
  • we had a bobcat in the yard a few weeks ago that the alpacas effectively scared off (he never got too close to chickens but they definitely squawked a lot)
  • we check the yard each day and nobody is laying/hiding eggs anywhere
  • they’re secured in their coop each night
Egg production has gradually decreased over the last several months. We are wondering, is there such a thing as “too much” free range time? Are they stressed by the alpacas? Any thoughts or sharing of similar experiences are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Feed doesn't have an expiration date, it just has a mill date (when it was produced).
In the future, always check the mill date on feed. I've seen feed 2 years old at feed stores. The vitamins (especially fat solubles) would have been gone by then. Protein would have been greatly reduced and the fats could have gone rancid.
IMO, 16% protein is at the low end of what is necessary for regular ovulation. Scratch and Peck isn't a completely ground feed and chickens can choose to pick out the grains (candy). That can prevent them from ingesting the goodies. The goodies are the vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids and fats added as powders. If anything else, like corn and bread is fed, it can lower the crude protein intake.
A good feed like Scratch and Peck, should be their sole intake - no treats.
If giving treats, make them a high protein source like meat and fish.

Last edited:
they could be stressed out by the alpalcas but my guess is there laying somewere else... they can lay in really strange places.... maybe you just havent found them... and no there is no such thing as to much free range....
Thank you! I’ve never heard of too much free range either but we were wondering if they were just having too much fun out there hunting and lounging that they were forgetting to lay their eggs 😂 am still hunting for the hiding spots...we trek the yard daily and haven’t found one yet!

Thank you! This is really helpful. I didn’t know that about the “powder” part of their feed, which is what is always left behind — so they’re definitely picking out the “candy”. Will try occasionally giving only meats/fish as treats and see if that helps. Appreciate it!
I don't dislike a feed like scratch and peck. I used to feed an organic feed very similar to it by 'Nature's Grown'. It is just that I'm cognizant of what is left behind. the only way I would feed it is in fermented form. By wetting the feed, the goodies are bound up in the mass and that dramatically improves nutrition because with every bite, they are getting all the vitamins, minerals and all the other nutrients added to the grains.

I just don't understand why the young one won't lay.
Some birds are just duds, but.....

We've also combed the yard inch by inch for a hidden nest and found nothing.
Time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Stress of any kind can prevent ovulation.
What breed/s are your chickens?
What is the feed you are providing? Protein%, Calcium%, mill date on the feed bag? Any treats?
Thank you! They get Scratch and Peck Organic Layer 16% protein/calcium, and I usually give them a couple of ears of corn or bread ends daily (or garden scraps, whatever is on hand). Not sure of expiry date on feed as we tossed the bag after filling our feed storage bins. I did read about how too many “treats” will cause them to not eat enough feed — so I don’t know if the daily scraps/corn are an issue?

Thank you! They get Scratch and Peck Organic Layer 16% protein/calcium, and I usually give them a couple of ears of corn or bread ends daily (or garden scraps, whatever is on hand). Not sure of expiry date on feed as we tossed the bag after filling our feed storage bins. I did read about how too many “treats” will cause them to not eat enough feed — so I don’t know if the daily scraps/corn are an issue?
Oh and we have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Copper Marans and 4 Easter Eggers (2 bantams - one of which was our most consistent layer until she started to go broody, which we broke her of quickly!)

Back
Top Bottom