Thoughts of Grade Horse breeds ?

I've had some amazing grade horses, you can't ride the papers, but good genetics are still key. I've had incredibly healthy and smart grade horses just like I've had great papered horses. I've also had not so great grade horses and registered horses with health problems. And I've had purebred "grade" horses that just never got registered, good and average. Depending on what you're looking for, I have no issues with good grade horses. I wouldn't go out of my way to breed grade horses unless I had a specific purpose for them.

I guess it's not unlike barnyard mix chickens. Plenty are great and can do their job (whatever that may be), and some are.... well unfortunate, really. You also will see poorly built horses with papers.

Some breeds really do have specific talents, but like other posters have said, plenty of grade mounts are worth their weight in gold.

HI all !!!!!!! Just curious what do you all think about grade horses ?
I think it depends more on the horse and what you want to use it for. For my gaited horses I like to papers and know their lines. It helps me to know they will likely be firmly gaited and have an indication of the know personality traits of the line. I have some amazing pure Puerto Rican Paso Finos. Their sire was a World Grand Champion but he was most known for his Golden Retriever like personality. He was very friendly and a ham and his future generations all inherited this. I don't breed them and they have a home for life, so the papers are just for me. My non gaited horses I just ride and watch being ridden and get a pre-purchase vet exam including taking blood for drug testing. I won't buy a horse if the seller won't share vet records or says they have none. I keep my horses for life and it's too risky.

Back
Top Bottom