Thoughts on adding 7 week EE to flock

Birdofire1

Chirping
Jun 22, 2023
So my original plan was for EE's so I ordered two roosters and a hen. Two roosters because when I first tried for three hens and a roo my Henry turned into a Henrietta. So then I started investigating Barred Rocks and ended up with two penciled plymouth rock hens and three roosters; these were ordered last but came first. I finally got my EE's and just last week moved them outdoors. I knew I'd have too many roosters and I had a plan to thin the herd as it were but my main question now is with the EE's at 7 weeks, what's the consensus on adding them to the flock while separating out the adult roosters until I get everyone where they will ultimately end up? Is it too late? My main problem is that I had a rooster take after me as a kid and I won't tolerate an aggressive Roo, but I find the barred rock pattern of the hens to be a bit dull while the lavender EE's are beautiful. I didn't think about possible difficulties in adding in strange roosters to an existing flock. I just knew I don't want to depend on a hatchery (or Tractor Supply) for future chicks. Thoughts are welcome!

So my original plan was for EE's so I ordered two roosters and a hen. Two roosters because when I first tried for three hens and a roo my Henry turned into a Henrietta. So then I started investigating Barred Rocks and ended up with two penciled plymouth rock hens and three roosters; these were ordered last but came first. I finally got my EE's and just last week moved them outdoors. I knew I'd have too many roosters and I had a plan to thin the herd as it were but my main question now is with the EE's at 7 weeks, what's the consensus on adding them to the flock while separating out the adult roosters until I get everyone where they will ultimately end up? Is it too late? My main problem is that I had a rooster take after me as a kid and I won't tolerate an aggressive Roo, but I find the barred rock pattern of the hens to be a bit dull while the lavender EE's are beautiful. I didn't think about possible difficulties in adding in strange roosters to an existing flock. I just knew I don't want to depend on a hatchery (or Tractor Supply) for future chicks. Thoughts are welcome!

We raise Silkies, so not familiar with your breed, but in my reading umpteen posts about integrating young chicks, it usually never works out until they are the same size. In my experience, it's the hens that are the worst. One of our roosters tends to look out for them while they are free-ranging.

Things you could do for them at night that we did that worked:

1) Make a secure temp coop outside for the little ones to sleep at night, or keep bringing them back to the brooder every night, the latter of which gets old real quick!

2) Make them a hutch of sorts on the floor in the coop where they can go in at night, but the big ones can't. If you can't put food/water in there for them, you'd have to feed them outside when you let them all out in the morning as they'll be hungry/thirsty, knowing the older ones would never let them near it.

As for the roosters, I, too, will not tolerate a vicious rooster. I've not really had one attack me, but I've had two in the past that seemed like their whole mission in life was to constantly fight with hens and roosters. After unsuccessful attempts at separating, then trying it again, only to see him again drawing blood from several chickens, I eliminated them.

I finally broke down tonight and tried it because I felt I was being put in a bad spot. The three roosters are ganging up on one of the hens, why I don't know. They were raised together. I wasn't able to get the second coop in time and have no more room. The hens seem more interested in eating than kicking the snot out of the chicks. It was late so they are all going to bed together, more or less. The chicks *are* the same size as the one silkie I do have and there are three of them. What's worse is I have a family member needing medical attention and I can't do much else at the moment 8n between doctor appts. It's discouraging. I wouldn't willingly put an animal in a position where I *know* they'll get killed.

So after monitoring them yesterday and today it seems the hens are more or less leaving the chicks alone. However, the chicks remain huddled in a corner which concerns me as it's too hot to not drink. When integrating chicks and it *doesn't* work, is it because they get attacked and killed or because they don't eat and drink properly or both?

So after monitoring them yesterday and today it seems the hens are more or less leaving the chicks alone. However, the chicks remain huddled in a corner which concerns me as it's too hot to not drink. When integrating chicks and it *doesn't* work, is it because they get attacked and killed or because they don't eat and drink properly or both?
I'd guess it could be either or.

How much space do you have in this coop and how many birds total are in it right now?

Six leghorn size hens, one silkie, and the three chicks. The coop and run are supposedly maxed out at 10 full size chickens. I was planning on adding a coop but life got in the way. I did see the chicks drinking after all but they are stressed which stresses me out because the heat is bad enough to be stressful on it's own and then the boys started misbehaving. :(

So as of today the chicks are still managing. I spread out the waterers, fixed the mister to cool them down in the heat of the day and they are managing. I'm not relaxed yet but am slowly becoming a bit more optimistic. Now to find someone who wants a rooster or two! And a Silkie!

Last edited:
I saw for myself that the chicks were indeed eating for the first time today so yay!!! And there is still some chasing but it's died off to almost none. I am SOOO relieved. I know things can still happen but at least they are getting all I can give them and have made it this far!

For the record, my three Easter Egger chicks are still alive and kicking! And running, ducking, dodging, and weaving around the big hens but they are in one piece, eating, and drinking. Yay! Now as long as I can keep everybody cool through this record heat, we will have accomplished something indeed! The Silkie and one rooster has been rehomed as well so I feel like we are getting somewhere. Wishing I could go back in time and get our big hen house but maybe after the heat has dissipated some. Or... you know... winter... LOL

My barred rocks may not be the prettiest, but they have been my most prolific and consistent layers, my most intelligent birds and my nicest roos.
Glad your EE chicks are doing well. It all depends on the personalities in your flock.

Back
Top Bottom