Thoughts on an Ummmm Special Needs Chicken

blacktailsmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 26, 2009
We have a flock of Easter Eggers .... the little one is Pip. Short for Pipsqueak.

She was always sitting down as a chick, and is certainly smaller than the rest. I know chickens are not known for their excess intelligence, but Pip seems astounding behind that curve. Other than not "catching on" .... ever ... she is a sweet bird. Is there any long, lingering disease that this may be cause by? Here are some photos.

There could be a few....but did she have any bouts with coccidia when she was a.chick? Sometimes as a youngster their immune system gets affected by something...or they just develop slowly..etc. Sometimes they may have a shorter life span....sometimes not. Just enjoy her and her specialness

I've had a couple like that who have gone on to catch up with the others and live a good, long and healthy life.

Yall are awesome ... we are, she is the slowest and the easiest to pick up for the kids. Hence the favorite.

My scrawniest little one, (the one if you are going to lose any, that would be the one) the merry little soul that always made you smile just because it was so determined....turned out to be be the most wonderful Jersey Giant roo.....boy did he ever catch up!!! Hurray for the late bloomers...Enjoy her in all her specialness. Who knows, she may turn out to be your best layer and then again, she just might be Pip forever.

Back
Top Bottom