Thoughts on breed of my 'surprise' chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PouleChick, May 25, 2018.

1. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    I think that will be a cute mix - kind of hoping it is that now! Interesting about what comes from where - I look forward to learning more about the genetics in the future! I'll send her an email and see what she thinks - as you say she'll know exactly what is in her mixed pen (she has breeds in separate ones then her mixed pen) and let you know!

Too early for more sex guesses?

2. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    I just read this on mypetchicken:
    Polydactyly is incompletely dominant so it could have some Faverolles but there is mention of at least a lump or something instead of a 5th toe and this chick has nothing like that (that I've seen).

3. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    OK so I emailed her last night and I've had an answer - she said she thinks it could be an Orpington splash or Cochin - cool if it is a cochin - didn't know she had them :celebrate:jumpy:jumpy I've got 3 of her Orp eggs under Doris so would be more exciting to have a different breed :lol:

4. MagdaMae

MagdaMae In the Brooder

May 26, 2018
    One white chick has blue legs? I thought it might be the lighting but one looks yellow and the other looks blue, can't see the third. I start with this when I can't figure out what I've got. Too young to tell sex. Heavier breeds often have thick legs especially when compared to the lighter breeds of the same age. If your trying to sex by the crest, look straight on, cockerels often are thicker and definitely redder. Males tend to be pushier in the flock, so look for behavior too.

5. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Hi, yes the white with grey / blue / green legs is an Araucana as are the 2 multi coloured ones - thye came out of blue eggs so easy there with race! It is the white with the yellow legs I'm unsure on as it came out of a mixed coop.

I went down this morning and there are definitely only 4 toes and very definitely feathers on the legs (they must have only just come out when I took the pics as never noticed them before!) so I'm going to have closer look at pics of cochins and orpingtons!

6. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Looks mixed. Can't tell leg color yet. Five toes is dominant and absent in this bird so not Favorelles mix. Probably orpington crossed with something else. Would like to know other breeds. They would have to be single combed breeds. ETA: looks like cochin orp mix. Could be pure cochin, but depends on the types of cochins she owns.

7. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Sorry I posted earlier on the wrong thread (how did that even happen :confused::lol:)! Here is what I wrote!

I'm feeling more and more confused about what this chick could be - some feathers yes and definitely very yellow legs. I have just read this about Orpintons:
    The dark colours have dark eyes and legs while the paler colours have red eyes and white legs.
    So seems unlikely to be an Orpington? Not sure when they get their feathers, need to go and look at some more pics
    Cochins can have yellow legs by the look of it but I've been looking at pics of chicks and they all seem to have a lot more feathers than this chick does. Colour wise I think it seems an option though:
    Beak, rich bright yellow. Comb, face, ear-lobes and wattles bright red, as in the black cochin. Eyes pearl or bright red. Legs, brilliant yellow.
    Maybe a cochin and Orp mix?

Do you mean it can change? Looks so yellow!
    Sounds like my guess could be good then! Not sure what type of cochins she has. don't want to annoy her bugging her with more questions - I do have a Sussex who has gone broody so may be going back for some more eggs this week and I can go have a look :lol:!

8. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Looking at them again, they really are yellow. But Cochin legs are yellow so I guess it might work.

9. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    Adorable

10. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Anyone up for a sex guess yet? I'm thinking boy - quite a lot of fight play with the other white one (I'll get pics of the others another day). This was taken almost a week ago - so I think 5 weeks (or maybe 4 - haven't got my book with me).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?

penny1960 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: