Thoughts on Dry Hatch & Oh Yea They're Hatching!! Pics added

JanieMarie

Songster
14 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Georgetown, Minnesota
So I've been very frustrated hatching out LS eggs. Been trying to fine tune it and I tried dry hatch this time and it really seems to be making the difference. I have 12 LS eggs in the hatcher right now. 1 out and 4 more pips and they're about half a day early. So my first LS hatch was a big fat 0! Thought I was doing everything right I wanted them so bad. They were some eggs off of ebay and I didn't know their history so maybe it was OK but at the time it really sucked!

For my first hatches I had humidity in the 40's to low 50's and upper 60's for hatch time. Thought this was perfect! They grew and developed just great but at hatch time one or 2 would hatch fine and then the others would zip and clear fluid would ooze out and the few I could get to hatch were wet and sticky and would get stuck! I'd have to help some here and there. Very frustrating!! I thought too low of humidity at hatch time since they were getting stuck. But now my thoughts are that humidity DURING incubation is almost as important if not more so. This time I did the dry hatch method. Most of the time believe it or not my humidity was just over 20! I would add just a Tbsp or 2 of water every couple of days and then the humidity would jump to 40-50 or so for a few hours and I'd let it go back down to 20-25 for a day or 2. I wanted to try to get it to hold in the 30's but it was 20's or 40's so I kinda split the difference. I paid really close attention to the air sac this time as I think before it wasn't big enough and I had been drowning the poor things!! This time the air sac seems to be quite sizeable. During lockdown I have had humidity at pretty steady 64 only now the first chick has tipped it over and I can't read it anymore! But the first chick hatched no problem!! Came out clean and dry and is already fully fluffed out!! I'll post as things progress. I'm really hopeful that after so many disasters I might finally be on the right track!

Last edited:
Oh Jane! I am so excited for you!! Yes the dry hatch makes the difference doesn't it? I fought it tooth and nail at first. But it is the way to go.
Hurray! Keep us posted. Are you on the floor or cartons?

Congratulations on your hatch. We always do dry hatch. Here in Florida it is a rare day that we do not have natural humidity. If we can keep our temp fairly stable then we have great hatches in the 90 to 95 percent range.

I wanted to try this, but the air is so dry here in winter
sad.png
I'll have to wait till Summer to try.

Congrats of the chicks!

I use the dry hatch method also and I love it. I don't fuss over the humidity anymore. Like you I got tired of drowning chicks, so I just tried it without any water except at 18+ days. I wouldn't do it any other way now. I had duck eggs hatch right along with the chicken eggs also using this method.

Quote:
You don't get much drier than here where I live and my dry hatch was great. Average room humidity is 20% right now. I got up this morning and the humidity in the inc was 13% EEEk. I upped it to 55 to balance it out.

But all are developing just great!

Air is extremely dry here too this time of year. But yea I just got sick of drowning chicks. Also I think its not so important what the room humidity is as long as it can be maintained in the bator. maybe.

rustyswoman I broke down and put them in a carton. 1st time for that too. The first one had pipped and I had to go out of town all day and when I got back the top had popped just like what you'd see in a cartoon! Clean as can be!

That is so wonderful Jane. I am happy you are having a good hatch. I can't wait to see the total. I am still going back and forth on the carton vs floor.
I took serious notes this last hatch and I still can't decide. Leaning toward cartons. I had some Marans not pip and there was a large aircell, so I wonder if their heads can't turn well and if they are on their side then it is a 50/50 if they drown because they can't move their head. At least in the carton, chances are the head is out of the fluid.

Thank you for this very useful insight & information. I did dry hatch on my last batch & also had excellent results--we have a real humidity problem here! so it made sense.
Will fire up the bators in January & try dry hatch again.
Congrats to you on a good hatch!

Back
Top Bottom