Thoughts on Dry Hatch & Oh Yea They're Hatching!! Pics added

sangel I think each breed and each season and each hatch are all different and unique and have their own set of ideal requirements that constantly need to be tweaked. I know I learn someting more with every hatch and then modify the next hatch according to what I've learned. If they were all the same then we'd all have 100% hatches right!!

I'm sure they'll be fine. They are growing and developing and that's most important. Try to relax and enjoy! (Iknow easier said than done) It sounds like your conditions have been just fine.
big_smile.png

Rosaline you want to take the temp at the top of the egg height. So you can lay your thermometer right on top of the eggs. If you have a fan the temp should be 99.5*F and if its still air it should be 101*F at the top of the eggs.

Murano I've never had silkies before so we're gonna need lots of pics!! Good Luck everyone!!

yeah I guess there's not much I can do...I am going to leave them as is and just keep it as low as safetly possible and since my ACTUAL day 21 isn't unti lthe 26th, I'm going to wait until the eve of the 23rd to actually put the humidity up. Thanks!

thumbsup.gif
Thankyou Janiemarie. I have candled my eggs since (on day 5 now) I can see growth. So I am going to stop panicing. I moved the eggs in to the cartons, and the thermonitor is at the top of the eggs. And has been holding at the right temp since. So I am pleased now. Thanks for advice
hugs.gif

Last edited:
so I was excited that things seemed to work and decided to lock down today (day 18) anyway. Problem is, I put them in lockdown over 3 hrs ago and I now cant get my humidity above 45%. I have all the wells filled plus have teo extra sponges that I'm making moist with a straw through the vent hole. I developed that with a funnel to avoid opening the bator. What else can I do?! I don't want to have them all still alive come day 18 to lose them because they're too sticky and dry!!!

Add very hot water to bump up humidity..I add very hot water right out of the tap to my water pan on day 18 and then lock-down, the water is usually evaporated by the time I remove the chicks from the incubator to the brooder. I have been doing this all year and it has worked fantastic for me and the Dickey incubator.

I also add hot water, but I boil my water to kill any bacteria that might harm the eggs. Then I cool it down enough to add it. I also pour boiling water over anything that won't melt that will come into contact with the eggs. Such as sponges, trays, wire mesh ect...

Quote:
What kind of incubator do you have and are the eggs in a carton or on the mesh? I have very gently tilted my incubator to one side and let the water drain out the holes in the bottom of my Genesis. It is best if the eggs are in cartons so that they don't roll all over the place.
Then re add hot water (don't get it on any eggs) I use the plastic tubing that you get in pet stores for aquariums. Blue and flexible.

I have an LG still air. I have some in the carton and the rest on the mesh so that won't work. It was still mid 40s when I woke up this am so I added two spnges on top of the mesh (the rest are under it) and topped off my wells with warm water so we'll see how that goes. I also have gone back and wrapped a towel around the outside to hold moisture and heat in. I didn't want to open bator to add sponges but I figure now rather than day 21 would be better. I quickly added them at that time. temp dropped to 100 and humidity to 40 but it's already climbing back up to 48!!! And that was 5 minutes ago!
On a side note, does anyone know how to set up a webcam to do a live feed? I want to try to record these babies as I will not be in this room christmas day and wont be at my house the day after...

Back
Top Bottom