Thoughts on Immune Glow Daily Water Additive?

PeachMyCheeks

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
Both My Chicks and Turkeys are 3-5 days old. I am noticing both seem to be slow, always sleepy and I wanted to add a vitamin/water additive to boost their immunity and to keep them hydrated.
It's a fairly new brand I found at my store, from the brand Spring Chicken. Any thoughts on this brand? Safe to use everyday for baby chicks/turkeys?
1654041094186.png
1654041059137.png

SO - plant cell walls - that's bulk.
Maltodextrin - that's a sugar.
Citric Acid - self explantatory.
Potassium Chloride - that's a salt, one of the mentioned electrolytes.
Sodium Chloride - that's table salt, the other mentioned electrolyte
Oil of Oregano - it has "magical properties" {ahem}
(further note Oreganum Oil can come from ANY plant in the Oregano family, not just the culinary oregano most of us have in our gardens)
Thyme White Oil - another "magical properties" (same note)
Silicon Dioxide - its an anti caking agent.

Conclusion? Probably won't hurt them, unless you get the salt too high - and frankly, chickens don't need much, all of which they should get thru their feed. Will it help? No more than "magical thinking" will.

{There is *some* science supporting some claims for oregano - or at least, some of its bioactive components - against some bacteria and the like. But not knowing how much of those chemicals are present in this mix, or if your birds are currently challenged by those bacteria... The same is true of thyme.}

Mostly you've bought a bag of empty cell walls. Hope you didn't pay too much for your salty cardboard. The only potential use I see for that stuff, reliably, is as an explosive component. No, I will not be providing the recipe.

SO - plant cell walls - that's bulk.
Maltodextrin - that's a sugar.
Citric Acid - self explantatory.
Potassium Chloride - that's a salt, one of the mentioned electrolytes.
Sodium Chloride - that's table salt, the other mentioned electrolyte
Oil of Oregano - it has "magical properties" {ahem}
(further note Oreganum Oil can come from ANY plant in the Oregano family, not just the culinary oregano most of us have in our gardens)
Thyme White Oil - another "magical properties" (same note)
Silicon Dioxide - its an anti caking agent.

Conclusion? Probably won't hurt them, unless you get the salt too high - and frankly, chickens don't need much, all of which they should get thru their feed. Will it help? No more than "magical thinking" will.

{There is *some* science supporting some claims for oregano - or at least, some of its bioactive components - against some bacteria and the like. But not knowing how much of those chemicals are present in this mix, or if your birds are currently challenged by those bacteria... The same is true of thyme.}

Mostly you've bought a bag of empty cell walls. Hope you didn't pay too much for your salty cardboard. The only potential use I see for that stuff, reliably, is as an explosive component. No, I will not be providing the recipe.
Ehh Around $30 bucks for a pack of 30. So A dollar for a gallon's worth of drinking. The last batch of chicks I got, They loved the product, and would drink more water. (Would need to refill their containers twice a day.)

The only issue I have is that, I see a lot of other products such as
Sav-A-Chic probiotics/Electrolytes- personally, I feel like buying buying one of each, for one gallon is a little too pricey for me.
Hydro-Hen- all my chickens/chicks hate this product. They don't like drinking from it at all) and that's pretty much I can find at my local store to buy. (That can be added to water). Lots of my chickens get Poopy-butt, and get easily stressed. I find a lot of these products are used to save chicks lives from being dehydrated/or sick.
My only issue is that, I wish there was a water additive for chicks/turkeys that doesn't involve throwing the product away after 24 hours etc/or that isn't too pricey, such as the Save-A-Chic.
My only concerns, if my chicks WERE to get sick, dehydrated, or low immunity issues Would I need to buy Save-A-Chic supplements/Nutri-Drench Poultry Supplements? I'd do anything to save my chicks or to prevent them from getting sick. (I know the food has all the vitamins and probiotics, but I'd love to do more to prevent sickness.)

I lik
Both My Chicks and Turkeys are 3-5 days old. I am noticing both seem to be slow, always sleepy and I wanted to add a vitamin/water additive to boost their immunity and to keep them hydrated.
It's a fairly new brand I found at my store, from the brand Spring Chicken. Any thoughts on this brand? Safe to use everyday for baby chicks/turkeys?
View attachment 3131469View attachment 3131467
I like the looks of it, better than some products I've seen. I don't love that most commercial electrolyte products use maltodextrin. It contains more glucose than sugar, which is not a plus. Sugar is a common addition to electrolytes since it can be beneficial for poultry needed a boost. Plus it contains electrolyte properties. Same with salt, minus the boost. I would honestly prefer sugar over maltodextrin. Read this article too, talks about maltodextrin for dogs, which can relate to chickens. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/is-maltodextrin-safe-for-dogs/

Love that it has oregano and thyme! Great stuff. I read a lot about homeopathic remedies, and oregano is a staple. I think that is super beneficial.

The rest of the ingredients, meh. I make my own electrolyte mixture with spinach and oregano powder. I made it to sell on my Etsy shop, but I love it. Works great, with no preservatives, or funky ingredients. Plus I can choose my own ingredients.

I offer crumble to my chicks as an oatmeal like consistency wet mash. My problems with pasty butt, anecdotally, disappeared when I started doing that - but that was also the time I stopped buying farm store chicks with shipping stress. Only additive I use, when I use anything, is some nutritional yeast - when I'm brooding ducks.

Good luck with your feather babies

My only concerns, if my chicks WERE to get sick, dehydrated, or low immunity issues Would I need to buy Save-A-Chic supplements/Nutri-Drench Poultry Supplements? I'd do anything to save my chicks or to prevent them from getting sick. (I know the food has all the vitamins and probiotics, but I'd love to do more to prevent sickness.)
Nutri-Drench is a staple. Definitely always have it on hand. Not something you need to add to water daily, but definitely keep it in the first aid kit.
For prevention, immune boosting is the best thing or that. I like to add oregano, ginger, sometimes garlic, and what other herbs I have available to my poultry fermented feed. If your looking for probiotics, than fermenting a whole grain feed is an easy way to get that. I think herbs are fantastic, along with vegetables and fruits. All vegetables/fruits contain antioxidants, which I believe are vital for happy laying hens. They reduce free radicals in the body, and prevent premature aging, a big thing for laying hens, cancer, and tons of other diseases.
For prevention, I also give my chickens wellness blends on my Etsy shop if I have extra's, or blends that are getting old.

The last batch of chicks I got, They loved the product, and would drink more water. (Would need to refill their containers twice a day.)
I am not surprised that it makes them drink more, considering that it has salt in it. The salt would make them thirsty. But I do not know whether more salt and more water is good for them or not.

Did you provide a container of plain water too? That would let them actually show you what they like best, by giving them a choice of what to drink (plain water vs. water with additive.)

I am not surprised that it makes them drink more, considering that it has salt in it. The salt would make them thirsty. But I do not know whether more salt and more water is good for them or not.

Did you provide a container of plain water too? That would let them actually show you what they like best, by giving them a choice of what to drink (plain water vs. water with additive.)
I'll do that! Didn't really pay much attention to the salt part, but I'll do it for sure!

Nutri-Drench is a staple. Definitely always have it on hand. Not something you need to add to water daily, but definitely keep it in the first aid kit.
For prevention, immune boosting is the best thing or that. I like to add oregano, ginger, sometimes garlic, and what other herbs I have available to my poultry fermented feed. If your looking for probiotics, than fermenting a whole grain feed is an easy way to get that. I think herbs are fantastic, along with vegetables and fruits. All vegetables/fruits contain antioxidants, which I believe are vital for happy laying hens. They reduce free radicals in the body, and prevent premature aging, a big thing for laying hens, cancer, and tons of other diseases.
For prevention, I also give my chickens wellness blends on my Etsy shop if I have extra's, or blends that are getting old.
Ohh thats great! Haha never really thought about how so many natural ingredients can be used for chickens. Thanks for the advice, you mentioned an etsy shop? I'd love to see!

Back
Top Bottom